The University of Oulu in Finland is inviting applications for the Doctoral Position in Biofunctionalization of Nanomaterials and Surfaces 2019.
A two-year doctoral student position is available in the field of biofunctionalization of nanomaterials and surfaces aiming for biosensing under the supervision of Adjunct Professor Gabriela S. Lorite at the Microelectronics Research Unit, Faculty of Information Technology and Electronic Engineering.
The project will focus on the surface modification of diamond and silicon surfaces with biomolecules (e.g. antibodies) for biosensing of specific target molecules in cartilage tissue. In addition, the research will exploit the capabilities of carbon nanotubes as bioreceptor and nano transducers for biosensing of osteoarthritis biomarkers.
Worth of Award
- The salary of the appointed doctoral student will be based on the demand level 2-4 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research staff of Finnish universities.
- In addition to the basic salary, an additional salary component (not more than 50 % of the basic salary level) will be paid based on personal achievements and performance.
- In practice, the starting salary of a new doctoral student is approximately 2450 € per month and it will progressively increase along with the progress of the student.
- In addition to the salary, the employed person will be insured by the university and provided occupational healthcare.
- The position is to be filled by a highly motivated student.
- The candidate must hold a Master’s degree in biochemistry, chemistry or nanotechnology. Degree must have been completed with very good grades by 01.09.2019.
- Laboratory experience on surface modification/functionalization is essential requirements for the position.
- Experience in characterization techniques especially AFM and fluorescence microscopy is considered as advantages.
- Ability to pursue independent research and excellent writing and fluency in English is expected, as well as excellent communication and teamwork skills.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form
- Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- The following documents must be attached to the application as one pdf file (to be submitted in English):
- Motivation letter describing prior knowledge, research interests and career plans (max 1 page).
- Curriculum vitae formatted according to the template of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae). The CV should also contain:
- Contact information of at least two referees.
- List of publications
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees.
- If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish.
Deadline: Application closes May 31, 2019, 23:59 (Finnish local time).