United Nations Development Programme invites applications for the Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7) in Japan 2019.
Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) is the pioneer development forum on Africa led by the government of Japan since 1993 and co-hosted by United Nations, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), World Bank and African Union Commission (AUC).
Africa, with its stable economic and population growth, has grown as a giant market attractive to investors and exhibited several innovative business models backed-up with the rapid digitalization, enabling “leapfrogging” of technologies.
At the occasion of TICAD 7, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) will jointly prepare a pitching stage for eligible startups from African countries.
Worth of Award
- The selected finalist(s) will be invited to TICAD7 for the pitching on the stage in front of potential investors/partners gathered from multiple countries.
- Air tickets and accommodations for one person from each company will be covered by JICA/UNDP.
- Business Category: TECH startup with an innovative solution to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Year of Establishment: Established in 2018 or earlier
- Funding Stage: Proof of the past funding – Has ever raised over USD 50,000 funding
- Other necessary points: Passion/Will to acquire relation with Japanese investor(s) and/or partner(s) through participation to this pitch event in TICAD7
- Available to stay in Tokyo/Yokohama from 28 August to 31 August.
How to Apply
- Sign up with Google Form: http://bit.ly/TICAD7_pitchentryeng
- After Application: JICA and UNDP will set up an evaluation committee to review all proposals received.
- Principles of fairness, integrity and gender equality will be applied.
- The criteria for the selection of winning proposals will focus on the eligibility check and the explanation of the problem and solution provided by the business, with key factors that are being considered:
- Feasibility and scalability of the business model
- Impact on achieving SDGs
Deadline: Application closes Friday, May 31, 2019, 11:59pm (JST)