The Canadian Association of Social Workers(CASW) is inviting applications for the $3,000 Victor Cohn Prize for Excellence in Medical Science Reporting in 2022.
CASW established the Victor Cohn Prize for Excellence in Medical Science Reporting in 2000. The prize, which is given annually, seeks to honor a writer for a body of work published or broadcast within the last five years which, for reasons of uncommon clarity, accuracy, breadth of coverage, enterprise, originality, insight and narrative power, has made a profound and lasting contribution to public awareness and understanding of critical advances in medical science and their impact on human health and well-being. Eligible writing includes work appearing in digital media.
Worth of Award
- The honoree receives an award of $3,000 and a certificate.
- The prize is presented at a joint awards ceremony held in conjunction with ScienceWriters, a conference that combines CASW’s New Horizons in Science briefings and the National Association of Science Writers Annual Workshops.
- Awardee travel expenses to the award ceremony are covered.
The following are eligible;
- Editors, colleagues, scientists, and others familiar with the candidate’s body of work may proffer nominations.
- Individuals may nominate themselves, but are encouraged to submit at least one letter of support from a knowledgeable colleague.
- Nominators of candidates for the 2022 prize may submit up to five examples of the candidate’s journalistic endeavours, all published or aired since January 2016.
- Books are not eligible.
- Letters of nomination should include an assessment of the nominee’s body of work along with a biographical sketch.
How to Apply
- Nominators and candidates may submit materials at; http://casw.submittable.com/submit during the submission window beginning January 1.
- Letters of support may be uploaded either as part of the nomination package or via a separate submission form provided for recommenders.
Deadline: Application closes July 1, 2022.