The University of Cape Town is inviting qualified Master’s graduates for the UCT/SKA Doctoral Scholarship in South Africa 2019.
The Astronomy Department at the University of Cape Town has established a Doctoral Scholarship to support a student who will register in the Astronomy Department for full-time Doctoral study, and who will conduct research on a study related to the Square Kilometre Array Project.
UCT is an inclusive and engaged research-intensive African university that inspires creativity through outstanding achievements in learning, discovery, and citizenship; enhancing the lives of its students and staff, advancing a more equitable and sustainable social order and influencing the global higher education landscape.
Worth of Award
- The value of the scholarship is R125,000 per annum.
- The award is tenable for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a further 2 years.
- Renewal will be contingent on satisfactory academic progress and the availability of funds.
- Eligible candidates will have achieved an MSc in Astronomy, Mathematics, Physics or Electronic Engineering, and must have achieved the Honour’s degree with a minimum pass mark of 65%.
- Previous publications will be an asset.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified Master’s graduates.
- Preference will be given to South African students, although applications from students from the African SKA partner countries will also be considered.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Register for full-time Doctoral study in the Astronomy Department at the University of Cape Town, and
- Comply with the University’s policies, procedures, and practices for the postgraduate sector.
How to Apply
Suitable candidates are required to provide the following documents in the application for the award:
- A letter of application in which the proposed study is outlined.
- A CV no longer than 1 A4 page, which should include details of any previous publications
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts
- The names of two academic referees
- Applications must be submitted to Director, Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office, 3rd level Otto Beit (Students Union) Building Upper Campus, University of Cape Town
- Inquiries to [email protected]
Deadline: Application closes on May 31, 2019.