The Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) invites applications for PhD Scholarship candidates in the 2021/22 academic session.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD students and around 1000 undergraduate students. They focus on high-quality teaching and research in the fields of social and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With a single collective research theme of ‘towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation’ (tWIST), it is their mission to produce research, which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two Bachelor and eight Master programmes, they provide a wide range of courses within the fields of geography and spatial sciences.
The PhD positions are PhD Scholarships. PhD Scholarships provide candidates with a unique opportunity to propose one’s own interdisciplinary research project. The proposed PhD research topic must both fit within, and explicitly contribute to, the Faculty Research Programme tWIST – towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation.
Worth of Award
You enrol in the PhD Scholarship Programme and receive a scholarship of € 2,207 per month (gross) from the University of Groningen.
In order to apply for the fully-funded PhD scholarship they are looking for a candidate with:
- a (Research) Master degree in Cultural or Economic Geography, Real Estate, Planning, Demography, or a related social science discipline (obtained before Sept 1, 2021)
- excellent study results
- good writing skills and fluency in English; preferably experience in academic writing
- interdisciplinary affinity with social sciences and a keen interest in topics related to the Faculty’s research program
- strong conceptual thinking with the desire and capacity to relate theoretical topics to practical challenges and solutions
- strong motivation, good communicative skills, proactive and independent work attitude
- strong planning skills, good in organizing own work and related activities
- a great drive and enthusiasm.
How to Apply
You may apply for this opportunity by using the application form.
Please upload your complete application in English until the deadline, by submitting the following documents:
- write a cover letter (no more than 1 page) about why you want to receive a PhD Scholarship at the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (Letter of Motivation attachment)
- CV including names and contact details of two Academic References (CV attachment)
- add the results (grades) of your Research Master or Master program (Certificate of Academic Degree attachment)
- provide proof of sufficient competence in English (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS) (extra attachment)
- develop and submit your own PhD proposal (max 2000 words) and connect to any intended supervisor in the Faculty of Spatial Sciences. Both the fit and the contribution will be an explicit consideration in the evaluation of the PhD proposal. While an intended supervisor may provide feedback they expect you to develop your own PhD Scholarship proposal.
Deadline: Application is open until May 3, 2021, 11:59 pm Dutch local time