Cardiff Metropolitan University in the UK invites applications for the Cardiff Metropollitan Sanctuary Award in the 2021/22 academic session.
In November 2018, Cardiff Metropolitan University was recognised as a University of Sanctuary because of the good work the university does to raise awareness of sanctuary seeker issues and to support asylum seekers and refugees.
Since 2016, the University has offered two postgraduate sanctuary scholarships per year. This year, the University confirms that it will be offering two postgraduate AND two undergraduate scholarships for entry in September 2019.
The University is committed to providing equal opportunities to higher education for people seeking sanctuary in the UK and aiding them to meet their full potential and ambitions.
Worth of Award
Each scholarship includes:
- A full fee waiver for the undergraduate or postgraduate course the applicant holds an offer for;
- A Met Rider bus pass valid during the academic year (September – June)
- A daily lunch voucher for use in Cardiff Met’s Students’ Union catering outlets on weekdays during term time.
- Personal support to enable students to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme.
All applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for the Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award:
- You are an asylum seeker in the UK or partner/dependant included on the application of an asylum seeker in the UK
- You have received a decision on your claim for asylum and you have been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR), Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) or some other form of temporary status such as Humanitarian Protection. Please Note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date on which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
- You have a conditional or unconditional offer from Cardiff Metropolitan University for entry in September 2020 onto a degree course.
- You are currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group, which can provide a reference in support of your application.
- You have not obtained an equivalent degree from another institution or country.
- You live within suitable distance to easily commute to university. (A Cardiff Met bus pass forms part of the scholarship award).
- You do not require support for accommodation and living expenses.
Applicants must meet ALL of these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet all the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
How to Apply
- You will first need to hold a conditional or unconditional offer to study at Cardiff Met. If you have not yet submitted an application to the university, Future Learn provides a free online course to help asylum seekers through the application process of applying to a UK university.
- Please read the Sanctuary Award Application Form 2021 Guidance Notes thoroughly before completing the Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award Application Form.
- In addition to the application form, applicants must also submit a personal statement, a reference and evidence of their current immigration status/pending status.
Deadline: Applicants must apply before the application deadline of 5.00 pm on July 5, 2021.