In partnership with the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is inviting students to apply for one of four attractive PhD scholarships at its pioneering Quantum Leap Africa (QLA) Research Centre in Rwanda.
The AIMS-Carnegie Research program in Data Science and its Applications aims to position Africa at the forefront of information science. It also seeks to ensure that scientists worldwide are able to fully contribute to the above goal.
Worth of Award
- Successful candidates will each benefit from the financial support of up to $19 390 per annum for the three-year duration of their research study.
- Funding is also available for conferences and international scientific events. The term can be renewed based on satisfactory progress.
- Students would preferably be based at QLA in Rwanda and could be affiliated to any of the AIMS Research Centres and spend time in other international partner universities or research centres.
- Beneficiaries may also be affiliated to any recognized institution of higher learning located in the same country as the AIMS Research Centre.
This opportunity is for applicants who are in the final stage of their MSc or MSc holders with an interest in data science and its related disciplines (such as Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Cluster Analysis, Data Mining, Big data Analytics, Data Visualization, Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Deep Active Learning, Cognitive Computing among others
- Applicants can be from any country.
- Applicants must hold at least an MSc degree in any field related to mathematical sciences before the start date of this position.
- Applicants should be interested in undertaking research in Data Science and its related disciplines.
- Knowledge in mathematical modelling would be an advantage.
- Applicants must be open-minded and must be willing to conduct their research at their preferred AIMS Research Centre, or a designated partner institution in one of the AIMS host centres.
How to Apply
- Applicants must use the online application portal to apply and submit supporting documents.
- These supporting documents should be submitted in a pdf format and named using the following format: “AIMS-Carnegie-PhD–first and last name of applicant-type of document- monthyear of submission” e.g. “AIMS-Carnegie-PhD–JohnJake-CV-July2019”
- Before starting the application process, applicants should provide complete and accurate contact information (email address, title, names) of two referees who will provide confidential letters of support on their behalf.
- We will request these letters of support directly from the referees. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide their referees with a copy of the ‘Terms of Reference’ and the ‘Instructions for Referees’.
- The applicant is also responsible for ensuring that their referees have received the request for a letter of support from us and have submitted the requested letters to us on time.
- Applications shall be considered complete if all the documents listed above, including support letters, are received by AIMS before the evaluation start date.
- Only complete applications with required supporting documents will be considered. Incomplete or late applications will be reviewed during the subsequent evaluation period if all of the above-supporting documents are eventually submitted. The application portal will remain open until prospective candidates are found.
Deadline: Applications will be evaluated at the end of May, August and October 2019. Prospective applicants are encouraged to apply before the end of April, July or September 2019.