The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China, and TWAS offer up to twenty fellowships per year to young scientists from developing countries (other than China) who wish to undertake the last year of their PhD research in China.
- TWAS-CAS Postgraduate Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months at the research institutions of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. This is not a full PhD programme, but specifically enables PhD students to carry out all or part of the final year of their research programme in China.
- Eligible CAS institutions: More than 80 CAS institutes in China participate in this Fellowship programme..
- CAS will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. Only emergency medical aid will be available, if necessary. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than China);
- hold a Master’s degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be registered PhD students in their home country;
- be accepted at a CAS-listed institution participating in the scheme and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter, page 6) to this effect; and
- provide evidence of proficiency in English or Chinese.
Application Deadline: 31 August of each year.
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.