The Eastern Africa Network for Bioinformatics Training (EANBIT) is inviting applications for the MSc scholarship in Bioinformatics for east Africans in 2021.
The Eastern Africa Network for Bioinformatics Training (EANBiT) is a training network supported by Fogarty International Center of the National Institutes of Health (FIC-NIH, USA), the Initiative to Develop African Research Leaders (IDeAL) and the Human Health & Heredity in Africa (h3Africa.org). This network consists of three universities: Pwani (PU); Makerere (MU) and Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences and four Research Institutes (MUHAS), and four research institutions: International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology(icipe); KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP); Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI hub) and Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI).
EANBiT aims to develop a critical mass of bioinformaticians in the region through a high-quality Masters training. Students are registered and spend their first year at one of the partner universities undertaking taught units before undertaking their research project at a partner research centre in the second year. Further, the taught units are enhanced through a 5-week intensive course facilitated by renowned local and international bioinformaticians. Consequently, the programme has an over 90% timely completion rate with many graduates wining PhD scholarships and research positions within a year of completion.
Worth of Award
The network will provide full scholarships and will cover the following:
- Tuition fees for the entire course.
- Basic medical and accident insurance.
- A monthly stipend to cover accommodation and living expenses for two years, subject to progress reviews.
- Reasonable support for the MSc research project and supervision.
- The EANBiT fellowships are open to nationals of Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania only.
- Applicants must meet each of the separate university admission requirements for the MSc degree.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae including any relevant research work and experience.
- A one-page letter of motivation explaining why one wants to pursue an MSc. in Bioinformatics.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and degree certificate.
- Contacts of at least two referees.
How to Apply
To apply, go to the online application platform on the website and upload the following documents:
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae including any relevant research work and experience
- A one-page letter of motivation explaining why one wants to pursue an MSc. in Bioinformatics
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and degree certificate
- The application process is two-fold:
- Applications for places should be made to the preferred host training institution. Institutions and their contact persons are listed. Kindly contact the contact person for information on required qualifications.
- Once the applicant meets the University qualifications, then they can proceed to apply for the scholarship
Deadline: Application closes June 2, 2021.