TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, India have agreed to offer five fellowships annually to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research leading towards a PhD in physical sciences.
- TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at the S.N. Bose National Centre (FULL-TIME option). In both cases, the programme entails only one journey to the host country.
- Admission to the PhD programme at the S.N. Bose National Centre will depend on the successful completion of coursework (about one year’s duration).
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
- The language of instruction is English.
Candidates for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
- be employed at a university or research institution;
- hold a Master’s degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry;
- be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Requests for preliminary acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Center for Sciences, Kolkata by e-mail: [email protected] or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477 (a sample Acceptance Letter is contained in the application form which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page under “related content”);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Application Deadline: 31 August each year.
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.