Wellcome Trust in the UK invites applications from researchers who are developing healthcare innovations for its Innovator Awards 2020.
Wellcome exists to improve health by helping great ideas to thrive. They support researchers, they take on big health challenges, they campaign for better science, and they help everyone get involved with science and health research. They are a politically and financially independent foundation.
One of the world’s biggest challenges is how to be better prepared for the next major epidemic. Wellcome’s response is an example of how they work with academia, philanthropy, businesses, governments and civil society around the world to take on health challenges in many different, coordinated ways.
Worth of Award
The Opportunity is worth Up to £500,000, or up to £750,000 for multidisciplinary collaborations.
- Innovator Awards are open to researchers who are developing healthcare innovations that could have a major and measurable impact on human health.
- Individuals and teams from not-for-profit and commercial organizations can apply. Organizations can be of any size, based anywhere in the world.
- Funded organizations must sign up to their grant conditions (see the template award letters in the ‘How to apply’ section on this page).
- You’re not eligible for an Innovator Award if your company is not established and/or doesn’t have working capital.
- You can work in any scientific discipline, including a discipline outside life sciences. You can work on any type of technology. Examples of technologies include:
- therapeutics (small molecules or biologics)
- digital technologies
- regenerative medicine.
How to Apply
You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
Stages of application;
- Read their application guidance
- Submit your full application to your host organization for approval
- Host organization reviews your application and submits it to them
- Wellcome staff will assess your proposal’s suitability and competitiveness for the scheme. You should hear if you’ve been shortlisted within three months of submitting your application.
- Organizations that are successful in obtaining an Innovator Award must sign up to the grant conditions outlined in the template award letters (see stage 1 – ‘Read their application guidance’) before they can receive it.
Deadline: You can apply online at any time. Shortlisting meetings happen every three months.