The University of York in the UK is offering five Sharifah Sofia Albukhary Scholarships for undergraduate students in need of financial support to further their education in 2019.
This scholarship has been made possible thanks to a generous donation from the Albukhary Foundation. The Albukhary Foundation has a deep commitment to creating opportunity and facilitating access to a world-class education.
Worth of Award
The scholarship amounts available vary based on the individual financial need of the student. For the 2020/21 academic year the available awards are:
- 1 award of £75,000 over three years
- 4 awards of £31,250 over three years
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- be from one of the following countries
- Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome And Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for a full-time three-year undergraduate course at York
- Your scholarship will be renewed for each year of your course providing you satisfactorily progress through to the next year of study and you maintain your registration as a full-time student.
- This scholarship is eligible to be combined with either the Academic Excellence scholarship or the Vice Chancellor’s scholarship.
How to Apply
- You must apply online for this scholarship before the deadline
- As part of the application you will need to provide:
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words explaining why you would like to be considered for the scholarship
- information on your current financial situation, including your household income
- if your UCAS reference is not sufficient, you may be asked to provide an additional academic reference
- This is a competitive scholarship based on academic merit and financial need;
- A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
Deadline: Applications for 2020 are open until Thursday, April 30, 2020, 11.59 pm GMT+1