Microsoft Research, in partnership with TWAS and the African Academy of Sciences (AAS), has established the TWAS-AAS-Microsoft Award for Young Scientists to recognize young scientists working and living in Africa whose research in computer science has had, or could have, a positive impact in the developing world.
Number of Awards: Each year three winners are selected from three different African countries.
Worth of Awards: Each winner receives EUR 7,000, of which EUR 2,000 may be spent at the recipient’s discretion and EUR 5,000 shall be earmarked for further research. Each prize also carries a certificate bearing a citation highlighting the major contributions for which the prize is awarded.
- Nominees can be any nationality, but must have been resident and working in Africa for at least the two years immediately prior to their nomination. Example: For the 31 July 2011 nomination deadline, nominees should have been resident in Africa since at least 1 August 2009.
- Nominees must have received their most recent degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) within the previous ten years.
- Employees of TWAS, AAS and Microsoft Research as well as employees of other industry research laboratories and anyone involved in the administration of this award, are not eligible.
- Nominations are invited from national science academies, previous winners, senior academics (heads of departments, heads of universities), members of TWAS and AAS, academics invited by Microsoft, etc.
- Nominations of women scientists are particularly encouraged.
- Self-nomination or nomination by selection committee members is not accepted.
The selection process will be administered by TWAS in collaboration with AAS. The assessment will be based on past achievements in the field, rather than future plans, with the exception that where two candidates are deemed to be equal, the strength of proposed research programmes may be considered to select a winner.
Deadline: 31 July 2011.
Enquiries: If you have any questions about the award or how to apply, email [email protected] or call +39 040 2240-387
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.