The South African-German Centre for Development Research is inviting applications for the DAAD/DRD merit scholarships for applicants from Sub-Saharan African country in Germany and South Africa in 2021.
Scholarships are available for full-time students of the MA in Development Studies, the Master in Public Administration, the MA in Development Management, the different PhD options at the center (PhD UWC)
Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above-mentioned programmes, a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany. During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
Worth of Award
- Monthly allowances of 650 Euro
- Travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro
- Travel allowances for PhD candidates.
- Tuition and registration fees are covered by the Scholarship Programme.
- More information about the requirements for application and application procedure is provided below.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice;
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% for your last degree
- Applicants should apply within 6 years of having completed their previous degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognised university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
How to Apply
- You will have to fill in the electronic application form.
- Applications not using this e-form can’t be considered! As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
- Documents that have to be uploaded when using the e-form are:
- A letter of application
- A CV: Please use the Europass CV form available here
- An academic transcript from your last university
- Certified copies of all academic certificates
- MA applicants will have to write a one-page paper about 1 of 3 different topics, available in the “How to apply” section of each Master Programme1
- PhD applicants don’t write an essay but are asked to submit a 5-page proposal on the research they would want to undertake for the thesis.
- This should include their research question, the research methodology and a (provisional) theoretical framework.
- A list of topics is given in the PhD section..
Deadline: Application closes on June 30, 2020.