The Society of Environmental Journalists is accepting proposals for story grants from journalists worldwide in 2020.
The Society of Environmental Journalists is now accepting proposals for story grants on:
- Climate or conservation in North America
- Water quality and availability in the United States
- Mississippi River Basin, including agriculture, food, water and sustainability
- Oceans and coasts globally, including fisheries, sea-level rise and coastal restoration
SEJ’s Fund for Environmental Journalism invests in public service reporting on environment and the journalists who produce it.
- Fund for Environmental Journalism (FEJ) grants support development and dissemination of significant coverage that otherwise could not be completed.
- Winning projects will be selected by an independent jury of journalists based on newsworthiness, topical relevance, publication plan and track record of the applicant, among other factors.
This competition is generously underwritten by The Hewlett Foundation, The Bullitt Foundation, Walton Family Foundation and other foundation and individual donors to the Fund for Environmental Journalism.
Worth of Award
Rapid Response Grants (including stipend) are available up to $2500 per individual or $5000 for team or news outlet projects.
- You don’t have to be a member of SEJ to apply, but you do need to be a professional journalist who would qualify for SEJ membership.
- Non-members must pay a US$40 application fee. To enter as a member, complete the SEJ membership application BEFORE you apply for the grant. Only logged-in members can access the $0 application fee.
How to Apply
- Please read the FEJ Proposal Guidelines and fill out the Application form on their website.
- Prepare ahead and gather information you’ll need when filling out the application form and submitting proposal, budget, other support docs in PDF format.
- The online application form calls for: Contact information, project title, brief summary of topic and dissemination plan (up to 100 words), type of media for finished work, expected date of project completion, amount requested.
Deadline: This FEJ round has a rolling deadline.