Canada is a top-destination country for students seeking international experience. The Canadian Study Visa for Rwandans allows a wide variety of students either in an academic or vocational sector to grow within Canada’s bilingual borders. From simply learning English or French to earning a Post-Graduate degree, student visas allow students to expand their knowledge and expertise in Canada. This allows international students to bring their rich culture, expansive knowledge, and varied skills to Canada’s already diverse classrooms and schools.
Students can study in Canada at Primary, Secondary and Tertiary levels, in a vocational course or in a professional capacity. This can be achieved by applying for a study visa such as the Canadian student visa.
- Canada Study Permit. The standard way to study in Canada is with a Canadian study permit. A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited time.
In order to be eligible to submit an application for a Canadian study permit such as the Canadian study visa for Rwandans, a prospective student must:
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in order to submit an application for a study permit.
- Prove that he or she has sufficient financial support to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country.
- Obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or elsewhere in the Province of Quebec.
- Have a clean record. Applicants with a criminal background, or who pose a risk to Canadian security, may be refused. IRCC may request an applicant to supply a Police Clearance Certificate.
- Be in good health. IRCC may request an applicant to complete a medical examination.
- Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.
The applicant may also be required to submit the following documents:
- Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application.
- Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back.
- Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable.
- Any further documents required by specific visa offices.
When applying for the Canadian study visa for Rwandans, the following are required:
- Your international passport. Ensure that it is valid for more than six months upon the time of application submission.
- Admission letter from your host institution which confirms your admission.
- Proof of Gabonese citizenship
- Duly and completely filled the application form. You can help yourself avoid errors when filling the application by ordering for the visa application form filling service.
- Two passport photographs.
- Your birth certificates.
In like manner,
- Your academic transcripts.
- Financial Statements. This could be your bank statement of account or your sponsor’s.
- Sworn affidavit of sponsorship (if sponsored).
- Proof of Accommodation.
- Cover letters.
- Proof of reserved flight ticket or itinerary.
Once a prospective student meets the eligibility criteria for the Canadian study visa for Rwandans and has the correct documents, he or she may apply for a study permit. This can be done online or by paper. A paper application must be submitted to a visa processing office outside of Canada.
It is important to apply for a study permit immediately upon receiving the Letter of Acceptance. Study permit processing times vary, and applicants may see delays during busy times — particularly during the summer months.
The processing time duration for a Canadian study permit like the Canadian study visa for Rwandans is 12 weeks.
Student Visa Entitlements
Many educational institutions offer awards, scholarships, and bursaries to international students on a competitive basis. An applicant who is granted a student visa is eligible to work on-campus throughout the school year, allowing them to earn money towards tuition, explore Canada’s diverse landscape, and gain valuable Canadian work experience.
In addition, they may be entitled to apply for Off-Campus Work visa after 6 months. In most cases, foreign students are entitled to apply for a Post-Graduation Work visa, enabling them to remain in Canada for up to three years in some cases. It may also be possible to have their permanent residence application processed in tandem, allowing them to work and live in Canada permanently.
For the Canadian study visa for Rwandans,
- You will need 2 passport photos which must be attached; the photo should be of passport format, a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Remember it has to be a recent photograph. One recently taken 3.5cm x 4.5cm colour passport photograph with white background.
- Ticket Reservation: A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa. You should make sure you secure a visa before paying for the ticket.
- A Cover Letter stating the purpose of your visit to Canada and itinerary.
- Proof of Accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Canada. Most times, the institution you are studying in will cover this. You should make inquiries from the institution before proceeding.
- Proof of Civil status. i.e marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Canada. Your bank or sponsor’s bank statement of account. Your bank account statement for the last 6 months duly endorsed by the bank.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas. Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the return date. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- You will have to prove that you actually enrolled in an institution to study what you want to study.
- Admission Documents: No-objection certificate from school or university because it is very important.
Note: You are required to attend a visa interview during your visa application process.
The cost of the Canadian student visa is estimated at C$150 – C$258.
The Office of the Canadian High Commission is situated at No 59, KN16 Ave, Kiyovu, Kigali, Rwanda, P.O. Box 1177, Kigali, Rwanda. You can communicate with the Commission via:
- Telephone: (+250) 252 554 800
- Fax: (+250) 252 554 810
- Email: [email protected]
The commission opens for business viz:
- Monday to Thursday: 08:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Friday: 08:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
For Passport, citizenship, registration and consular services
- Monday to Friday: 08:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Applicants for the Canadian study visa for Rwandans are to ensure they use an active e-mail address, as it is the only channel of communication between the embassy and the applicant. Applicants are strongly advised to submit their application well ahead of their travel date to allow the embassy to complete the visa processing without setbacks.