Canada is a top-destination country for students seeking international experience. The Canada Study Visa for Namibians allows a wide variety of students either in an academic or vocational sector to grow within Canada’s bilingual borders. From simply learning English or French to earning a Post-Graduate degree, student visas allow students to expand their knowledge and expertise in Canada. This allows international students to bring their rich culture, expansive knowledge and varied skills to Canada’s already diverse classrooms and schools.
Students can study in Canada at Primary, Secondary and Tertiary levels, in a vocational course or in a professional capacity. These can be achieved by applying for a study visa such as the Canadian study visa for Namibians through the Namibian consulate.
- Canada Study Permit. The standard way to study in Canada is with a Canadian study permit. A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited time.
In order to be eligible to submit an application for a Canadian study permit, a prospective student must:
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in order to submit an application for a study permit.
- Prove that he or she has sufficient financial support to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country.
- Obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or elsewhere in the Province of Quebec.
- Have a clean record. Applicants with a criminal background, or who pose a risk to Canadian security, may be refused. IRCC may request an applicant to supply a Police Clearance Certificate.
- Be in good health. IRCC may request an applicant to complete a medical examination.
- Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.
The applicant may also be required to submit the following documents:
- Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application.
- Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back.
- Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable.
- Any further documents required by specific visa offices.
Once a prospective student meets the eligibility criteria for the Canada study visa for Namibians and has the correct documents, he or she may apply for a study permit. This can be done online or by paper. A paper application must be submitted to a visa processing office outside of Canada.
It is important to apply for a study permit immediately upon receiving the Letter of Acceptance. Study permit processing times vary, and applicants may see delays during busy times — particularly during the summer months.
The processing time duration for a Canadian study permit varies depending on an applicant’s country of residence. Study permit processing times can range from two weeks to 20 weeks depending on the number of applications received by IRCC and which office is processing the permit request.
Student Visa Entitlements
Many educational institutions offer awards, scholarships, and bursaries to international students on a competitive basis. An applicant who is granted a student visa is eligible to work on-campus throughout the school year, allowing them to earn money towards tuition, explore Canada’s diverse landscape, and gain valuable Canadian work experience.
In addition, they may be entitled to apply for Off-Campus Work visa after 6 months. In most cases, foreign students are entitled to apply for a Post-Graduation Work visa, enabling them to remain in Canada for up to three years in some cases. It may also be possible to have their permanent residence application processed in tandem, allowing them to work and live in Canada permanently.