Home sha How Beninese Students can Apply for a UK Short-Term Study Visa

How Beninese Students can Apply for a UK Short-Term Study Visa

International students apply for the UK Short-Term study visa for Beninese to study in the UK each year, making studying in the UK the number two choice for international students in the world, second only to the USA. With an excellent higher-education system and hundreds of world-class universities, the UK promises a rich experience for international students.

The United Kingdom made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is an island nation in north-western Europe. England – the birthplace of Shakespeare and The Beatles – is home to the capital, London, a globally influential centre of finance and culture and a choice destination for study. The UK plays host to world heritage sites such as The Ancient Stonehenge and Medieval Salisbury, Wonderful Windsor, The Cotswolds, and the Lake District, Idyllic England, The University Towns of Cambridge & Oxford and so on. Students can afford themselves the opportunity to unwind and have an extraordinary experience using the UK Short-Term study visa for Beninese.

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Upon successful application, you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Visa Type


The UK Short-Term study visa for Beninese is a study visa issued to those who want to take short courses in the UK. This visa will allow you go to the UK if you are 18 years or older and want to enter for up to 6 months to study a short course, up to 11 months to study an English language course or do a short period of research up to 6 months as part of a degree course for your overseas study.

The applicant is not expected to study at a local authority sponsored school in the UK or work in the UK or extend his or her visa permit if granted to visit the UK.

Visa Requirements

As you seek to study in the Uk by obtaining the UK Short-Term study visa for Beninese, remember that there are some requirements which include

  • Proof that you have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study.
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you.
  • Evidence that you can pay for your return or onward journey.
  • If you are under 18 you must have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK.
  • If you are under 18 you must have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the UK.


  • You must be accepted on a course with an education provider that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license. Otherwise your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by one of the following: Accreditation Body for Language Services, Accreditation Service for International Colleges, Accreditation UK, Bridge Schools Inspectorate, British Accreditation Council, Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland), Estyn (in Wales), Higher Education Funding Council for England, HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland), Independent Schools Inspectorate, Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted), Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, Schools Inspection Service.
  • You must be at least 16 years old and accepted on a course to learn English as a foreign language if you are applying for an 11-month Short-term study visa. A mixed course, some of which is spent studying English, does not count.
ALSO READ:   Top Full Masters Scholarships for Students to Study Abroad in Australia 2021


  • You can apply for a Short-term study visa for Beninese if you are at least 16 years old and studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your course is in the UK.
  • Your institution must hold its own national accreditation, offer only part of its educational programme in the UK, offer programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree.
  • You can come to the UK for a short period of research if already enrolled on an overseas degree course. To be eligible your course must be equivalent to a UK degree; you must be carrying out the research at the UK recognized body or a body that receives public funding as a higher education institution, and you must be at least 16 years old.

Visa Requirements

When you apply for the UK Short-Term study visa for Beninese, you need to provide:

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during the time of travel (e.g. Bank statements or payslip for the last 6 months).
  • Proof of accommodation (i.e. hotel booking or contact of your host).
  • Tuberculosis test result.
  • You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.


  • Contact details of parents or guardian – if under 18 years.
  • Proof of the course you are studying (e.g. letter of acceptance from the educational institution on letterhead paper – stating course name duration and cost).
  • Evidence of the previous study – academic certificates, references or transcripts (if applicable).
  • English language qualifications (if applicable).
  • Accommodation and travel plans.

In the same vein,

  • Permission to be in the country you are applying from (for non-Nigerian nationals).
  • Financial sponsor’s occupation, name, savings, or funds that will support your studies.
  • Written consent from parents or guardian (for minors).
  • Full contacts of parents (for minors).
  • Proof from guardian or parents that applicant has where to stay in the UK – including name and date of birth of the host, the address of where the applicant will stay, details of applicant’s relationship with host and consent in writing saying that host can look after applicant during his/her stay in the UK.

Additional Documents

  • Evidence of your previous study, for example, academic certificates, references or transcripts.
  • English language qualifications, for example, certificates or awards.
  • Permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not national).
  • Financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies.

If you are under 18 you need to provide additional documents if:

  • You are travelling on your own.
  • You are travelling with someone who is not your parent or guardian.

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone 18 or over). Your parent or guardian needs to provide their:

  • Written consent for you to travel to the UK.
  • Full contact details.

You also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • An address where you will be living.
  • The name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with.
  • Details of your relationship with the person who’ll be looking after you.
  • Consent in writing saying they can look after you during your stay in the UK.
ALSO READ:   Old Mutual Imfundo Trust Scholarship for South Africans in 2021

You must provide a letter from the school confirming it has notified the local authority of your visit and the details of who will be caring for you if:

  • You are under 16 (or under 18 if you have a disability).
  • You will be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’).

Note: You must include the reply from the local authority if the school has received one.

When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or over):

  • You need to identify them in your visa application.
  • Their name will appear on your visa, and you will be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.
  • You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.
  • The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications. 

Application Procedure

  • You must apply online for a Short-Term study visa for Beninese.
  • Your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) will be taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
  • You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you are in – check with your visa application centre.

 Visa Fee

It costs £97 for a 6-month visa and £186 for an 11-month visa. The UK Short-Term study visa fee can be paid online after filling the application using a debit/credit card.

Contact Address

The British High Commission to the Benin Republic is situated at The British School of Cotonou, Haie Vive 08 PO Box 0352 Cotonou, Benin.

You can communicate through to the embassy via

  • Telephone: +229-303265.
  • Fax: +229-306195.

The embassy opens for operations viz:  Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m


Once you have submitted an online application and provided all the necessary documents, a decision will be made on your application within three weeks. It is pertinent to note that you can do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course. Also, you can do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad.

Are you aspiring to study abroad as an international student? You are on the right track and stand the chance to enjoy the English experience by applying for the UK Short-Term Study Visa for Beninese.

Good luck!

Click here for more details

Click here for Scholarships for Africans

Click here for UK Scholarships