GENES Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme of the European Union is inviting applications for the MSc and Academic/Administrative Staff Exchange Scholarships for students from African countries 2019.
GENES (Mobility for plant genomics scholars to accelerate climate-smart adaptation options and food security in Africa) is a consortium of four universities from four African countries funded by the Intra-Africa Program of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission.
The consortium understands that feeding the increasing populations in Africa requires a radical transformation of largely underdeveloped agriculture over the next four decades. A major challenge is how to increase agricultural production among resource-poor farmers without exacerbating environmental problems and simultaneously coping with climate change, a critical force driving low agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa.
Worth of Award
In line with Agreement with Intra-Africa Mobility Scheme of EACEA, the scholarship will cover:
- Round trip flight ticket and visa costs (using a preferred travel agent and calculated against direct linear distance);
- Direct participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable;
- Comprehensive travel insurance (Health, Accident, and Travel)
- A monthly subsistence allowance for the mobility period.
To be eligible for a scholarship (i.e. financial support to third parties), master students must comply with the criteria below at the time of the application for a scholarship:
- Be a national and resident in any of the eligible countries covered by the Intra-Africa Mobility programme of the EACEA,
- Be registered/admitted in or having obtained an HEI degree (or equivalent) from
- one of the HEIs included in the GENES consortium (Target group 1)
- an HEI not included in the GENES consortium but established in an eligible country (Target group 2)
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of the courses in the host countries.
- Students with one-year post BSc but not yet admitted or registered in any of the Partner HEIs is also eligible to apply. However, mobility will begin in the second year of the study, i.e. sponsorship from GENES will be for research work, only.
- Students can only benefit from one scholarship under the Intra-Africa or Intra ACP academic mobility scheme (regardless of the type of mobility or the funding project).
- Students having benefited from scholarship(s) under the previous intra-ACP Academic Mobility Scheme cannot receive a scholarship under the Intra-Africa academic mobility.
How to Apply
To apply for this scholarship;
- Check the Admission regulations for MSc Studies from the prospective HEIs website.
- This application is for GENES Project scholarships only.
- The Scholarship application form together with other required documents should be sent as a unique PDF attachment to emails indicated in their website.
- You may download the MS Word version of the application form, and complete it before sending.
- Important also is the student proposal that should be sent together within the application as ONE SINGLE DOCUMENT, preferably PDF.
Other required documents are listed in the application form and include:
- Cover letter
- Scholarship Application form (download from GENES website)
- Student proposal (guidelines available from GENES website)
- National ID or Copy of Passport Data page
- Certificate of degree
- Transcript records
- Support letter from sending HEIs
- Recommendation letter of home supervisor (mandatory for all applicants)
- Enrollment proof in degree course from home institution (for MSc applicants)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Employment certificate (only for staff)
- Certificate of English or French language skills
- Proof of socio-economic vulnerability (if available)
Deadline: Application closes on April 30, 2019.