US education is recognized all over the world; it places great significance on diversity and it offers flexible employment prospects for international students. It is also at the forefront of scientific and creative innovation so you are sure of rubbing minds with some of the best brains in the world when you apply to study abroad using the US Study Visa for Egyptians.

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Egypt is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.

Visa Type

F-1 Visa

This is the most common type of student visa. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school or approved English language program then you need an F-1 visa. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

M-1 Visa

If you plan to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution then you need an M-1 visa.

Visa Requirements

As a matter of priority, you must prepare the following required documents when applying for the US study visa for Egyptians before your visa interview:

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.
  • Ensure that you complete and print out the confirmation page of the Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160.
  • If you are required to pay before your interview, endeavour to go with the application fee payment receipt.
  • While completing the online Form DS-160, you will need to upload your photo but if the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students; Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students: Your school will send you a Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database which you and your school official must sign. Your spouse and/or minor children, if they intend to live in the United States with you, will each receive an individual Form I-20.

A consular officer will interview you to determine your qualifications for a study visa and may request additional documents, such as evidence of:

  • Your academic preparation, such as:
    • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended.
    • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school.
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study.
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.

Application Procedures

There are several steps to apply for a visa such as the US study visa for Egyptians. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

  • You must complete the online Nonimmigrant visa application and print out the confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • In the course of completing the online Form DS-160, you will need to upload your photo which must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Endeavour to schedule an interview in good time.
  • A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you are qualified to receive a student visa, or if another category is more appropriate for your purpose of travel.  You must establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive a visa.
  • Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans are taken as part of the application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location.
  • After your visa interview, the consular officer may determine that your application requires further administrative processing and will inform you if this is required.
  • After the visa is approved, you may need to pay a visa issuance fee (if applicable to your nationality) and make arrangements for the return of the passport and visa to you.

Visa Validity after a Break in Studies

Students who are away from classes for more than five months can expect to apply for and receive a new F-1 or M-1 student visa to return to school following travel abroad, as explained below.

Students within the United States.

A student (F-1 or M-1) may lose that status if they do not resume studies within five months of the date of transferring schools or programs, under immigration law. If a student loses status, unless USCIS reinstates the student’s status, the student’s F or M visa would also be invalid for future travel returning to the United States.

Additional Information

  • There is no guarantee you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.
  • For information about working in the United States during your study, review Students and Employment and Form I-765 Work Authorization Instructions on the USCIS website.
  • If you have a temporary break in your study, view the information on the SEVP website under Do Students Returning from Temporary Absences Need New Visas? If your student visa is still valid, but you are outside the United States, you should consult with your Designated School Officials.
  • Spouse and children
    • Your spouse and unmarried, minor children who intend to reside with you during your study may apply for F-2 or M-2 visas. Although SEVIS fee payment is not required, your school must issue them an individual Form I-20, which is required to apply for their visas. You must also provide a copy of your F-1 or M-1 visa and provide proof of relationship.
    • Your minor children are permitted to attend school in the United States while accompanying you.
    • U.S. Embassies and Consulates will adjudicate visa applications that are based on same-sex marriage in the same way that applications for opposite gender spouses are adjudicated.
  • A valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. Unless cancelled or revoked, a visa such as the US study visa for Egyptians is valid until its expiration date. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.

Contact Address

The Embassy of the United States of America in Cairo is located at
5 Tawfik Diab Street
Garden City, Cairo

Click here to start the application process

Click here for Scholarships for Africans 

Click here for scholarships in the US

Subscribe to our newsletter!
Clicking "Subscribe me" is successful, even if you don't see any confirmation here