Canada is one of the top international student destinations in the world. A Canadian degree is widely recognized as equal to one from the United States, Australia, or the United Kingdom, and Canadian universities consistently do well in international rankings. In fact, in one study in 2016, three Canadian Universities were ranked in the top 50 universities in the world. She is ranked as the 8th most peaceful country in the world and there are a lot of working opportunities for graduates. So hop on the train as we look at the Canadian Study Visa for Batswana and discover how easy it is for you as an international student to be part of its student community.

Visa Type

Study Permit: Apart from the Canadian study visa for Batswana, a study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited time. You can only apply for a study permit within Canada if you are

  • A minor child in primary or secondary school.
  • An exchange or visiting student.
  • A student who has completed a short-term course or study program, which is a condition for being accepted at a DLI.
  • Someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months, or their family member.
  • A spouse or common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate, who are:
    • in Canada, and
    • have applied for permanent residence, if eligible.
  • A person with a study permit from a visa office abroad and the permit was issued before you got to Canada.
  • The family member of:
    • athletes on a Canadian-based team
    • media representatives
    • members of the clergy, or
    • military personnel assigned to Canada
  • A family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit), or
  • A foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer than study.
  • If you’re in Canada and none of the options above describes you, you need to follow the instructions for applying for a study permit from outside Canada.

Beware that you can’t stay in Canada after your passport expires. If you renewed your passport since you entered Canada, you have to submit photocopies of both your new passport and the stamp placed in your old passport when you apply.


In order to be eligible to submit an application for a study permit such as the Canadian study visa for Batswana, a prospective student must:

  • Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in order to submit an application for a study permit.
  • Prove that he or she has sufficient financial support to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country.
  • Obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or elsewhere in the Province of Quebec.
  • Have a clean record. Applicants with a criminal background, or who pose a risk to Canadian security, may be refused. IRCC may request an applicant to supply a Police Clearance Certificate.
  • Be in good health. IRCC may request an applicant to complete a medical examination.
  • Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.

The applicant may also be required to submit the following documents:

  • Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application.
  • Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back.
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable.
  • Any further documents required by specific visa offices.

Study Permit Duration

A study permit like the Canadian study visa for Batswana is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. This extra time lets you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

  • If you can’t finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
  • If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit). You have completed your studies either
    • on the date, you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) or
    • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

    You must provide proof of the date you got one of these.

    Note: If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, the earliest issue date on the document will be used. There may also need to confirm this date with your school. Additionally, if your school asked you to take some courses before they will accept you into the main program (conditional acceptance), your study permit will only be issued for the length of these courses. When you get accepted into the main program, you can apply to extend your stay as a student from within Canada.

Travel Conditions

If you plan to leave Canada during a scheduled break (such as the summer, or winter holidays and spring break), you may need to show proof you are enrolled in your school when you return to Canada. If you went there on:

  • a visa, you also need to make sure it is still valid.
  • an electronic travel authorization (eTA), and you leave and return to Canada by air, you will need to make sure it is still valid.

Study Permit Renewal

After obtaining a study permit as you did the Canadian study visa for Batswana, you may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies in Canada.

Contact Address

Canadian Consulate in Gaborone, Botswana
Ground Floor, Mokolwane House
Plot 67978, Fairgrounds Office Park
P. O. Box 2111

  • TELEPHONE: (+267) 3904 411
  • EMAIL: [email protected]
  • OFFICE HOURS: Tuesday & Thursday only: 09.30 am – 12.30 pm By appointment only
  • HEAD OF MISSION CONSULAR SERVICES: Mr Peter McLean van Riet-Lowe, Honorary Consul

Click here for Scholarships for African Students

Subscribe to our newsletter!
Clicking "Subscribe me" is successful, even if you don't see any confirmation here