The Nordic African Institute (NAI) calls for applications from MA and PhD candidates in Nordic Universities and Colleges to apply for the 2014 NAI Fieldwork Travel Scholarships.
Under this scheme some 20–30 scholars associated with Nordic universities, colleges and research institutions are sponsored annually for research trips to Africa.
Worth of Awards
The scholarships are payable as from May 1st.
- Scholarships are intended to cover travel expenses to Africa and to contribute to the cost of local travel and living expenses. Exceptionally, scholarships may be awarded for archive studies in Europe.
- The scholarships are not awarded for study visits, excursions, or participation in conferences.
- Funds to cover salary expenses cannot be applied for.
- Scholarships will not be awarded for fieldwork that has already been completed before 31 January (= the closing date for applications).
- Scholarships are not awarded to the same project more than once.
- Support is not given for language training trips.
- Students registered in educational programmes at Nordic universities, colleges and other research institutions in the Nordic countries (= Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) can apply for the scholarships regardless of citizenship.
- The scholarships are only intended for MA and PhD candidates.
- The scholarships are intended for research and preparation of research projects. Research should concern development issues in Africa and emphasis is placed on the social sciences (anthropology, history, economics, human geography, political science, sociology etc).
- Natural science projects must clearly motivate how they relate to social sciences and development.
How to Apply
- NAI does not accept applications sent by e-mail.
- The Travel Scholarships are awarded once per year and applications should be mailed to Nordiska Afrikainstitutet,
P.O. Box 1703, SE-751 47
- The evaluation is a two-step process where the applications are primarily evaluated on the basis of scientific quality and relevance. Secondly, the distribution among the Nordic countries, disciplines and gender is considered.
Deadline: Next deadline for applications is January 31, 2015
Click here for more details