The Governing Board of the Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship Programme invites applications from candidates interested in being considered for the 2020/2021 class of Fellows.
Kashim Ibrahim Fellows Programme comprises of four components, namely;
Engagement in the work of Kaduna State Government lies at the heart of a Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship. Work assignments can offer unparalleled experience working with senior administration officials on ever-changing issues and challenges. Fellows will spend a year as full-time, paid assistants to senior Government House Staff, Cabinet members and other top-ranking government officials in State Departments and Agencies.
The mandatory Education Programme serves as an important aspect of the Fellowship as it is intended to augment and enhance the work placement experience. Fellows are expected to fully undertake the Education Programme which would include speaker series, domestic policy trips, an international policy trip and Aspen Institute style quarterly seminars. During this process, a balance is maintained between personal development, self-reflection and the Nigerian context of leadership. The values and ethics of leadership also form a major component of the learning experience.
Community service is a key component of the Kashim Ibrahim Fellows Programme. Fellows have a strong legacy of service to their communities and participate in community service projects throughout their year in Kaduna Metropolis. Fellows will be expected to pursue projects to assist the urban poor with solid waste management and recycling systems, volunteer teaching, mentoring secondary school students, assisting Nigerian Legion members, or participating in the clean-up of local schools.
Perhaps the most enriching component of the programme is class fellowship, which often results in enduring friendships and collaborative ventures. Alumni will convene at yearly meetings in Kaduna hosted by the Governor, to eagerly welcome new Fellows into what we hope would be one of the most prestigious networks of professionals and leaders in the state and our nation.
Worth of Award
- Fellows will receive salary and benefits equivalent to that of a Special Assistant to the Governor from the Ministry, Department or Agency for which they work.
- Kashim Ibrahim Fellows cannot receive compensation from any other source during their year of government service.
- Additionally, accommodation will be provided throughout the course of the programme.
To be eligible as a 2020/2021 Kashim Ibrahim Fellow, applicants must show some level of public interest orientation
Selection Criteria Include:
- Diversity: The Fellowship will admit twenty-four (24) Fellows representing diverse ethnic, religious, and gender backgrounds, with varied educational qualifications; working from all angles and with different perspectives to strengthen their communities and civic life.
- An established record of self-discipline, punctuality, dedication, respect, confidentiality and integrity as Fellows MUST embody the change they wish to see in the society.
- Commitment to engaging in crucial issues and to making a difference at the national level.
- Promise of a future career of leadership and notable impact.
- Special capacity for critical, creative, entrepreneurial, and strategic thinking.
- Commitment to a rigorous programme of activities and to full-time residence in the Fellows Lodge in Kaduna for the ENTIRE duration of the Fellowship.
- Fellowships are available for individuals who are working to solve important public problems in creative and powerful ways.
- Proficiency in English: Fellows must be fluent in spoken and written English as all programmes will be conducted in English.
- Applicants must be Nigerian citizens between 25 to 35 years of age WITH A MAXIMUM AGE OF 35 WHEN THE FELLOWSHIP ENDS IN JULY 2021.
- Have graduated from an undergraduate or graduate degree programme from a recognised University and have completed the mandatory National Youth Service Corp programme.
How to Apply
- Do note that application for admission to the Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship is entirely an online process. There are no paper forms to complete or mail.
- There is no application fee or any cost to apply.
- Prior to the deadline, you may work on your application at any time and submit it when you are ready. After creating an account and accessing the online application, you can upload materials and your letters of recommendation. Any submission done after 20th March will be invalid.
- Applicants are required to submit a Résumé/Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 3 pages), an essay (minimum of 600 words and 1000 words maximum), and two letters of recommendation. The essay topic is “Rising Insecurity in Nigeria: Causes and Solutions”.
- An important part of the application is the Personal Statement (maximum of 200 words) where you also have the opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills, what you have accomplished and what your goals are for the future as we want to see people who have had a track record of imbibing change and are looking forward to making change as they move forward.
- The most important criterion is to have a real commitment to put your new leadership skills into use to benefit your community, State and Nigeria upon the successful completion of the Fellowship.
Deadline: Application deadline is March 19, 2021.