Australia has seven of the 100 best universities in the world. It is the third most popular international destination in the world for foreign students, coming only after the United States and the United Kingdom.
Australia plays host to many world heritage sites and fun spots which help to ensure international students and nationals have the Australian experience. They include The Great Barrier Reef, Byron Bay, Uluru and many others.
As a Nigerian student wishing to study in Australia, you must, first of all, get an Australian student visa for Nigerians. It is the permit to gain access to the country without restriction.
- The processing time for an Australian student visa application may take about 1 to 4 weeks depending on your application eligibility.
- You should get all the required documents ready before you apply for the visa to avoid unnecessary delay.
- You must also be offered a provisional admission to study in Australia.
- Booking an interview appointment for the Australia student visa is usually done online and you can book the appointment on the website of TLScontact visa application centre the next day.
- You should apply at least three months before your university degree programme starts. After you’ve applied, you can expect that you’ll wait about 37 days for the decision.
- TLScontact offices are in Lagos – Etiebet’s Place, 21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos.TLScontact also has offices in Abuja – Third floor, El-Yakub Building beside Metro Plaza, on Plot 1129 Zakariya Maimalari Street, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria.
The general visa for students who are 16 years and above is the Australia student visa subclass 500. It allows students to study full-time in an accredited institution of learning in Australia. On the other hand, students below the age of 18 years of age, are offered provisional admission into an Australian institution and appropriate arrangements are made for the duration of the period of time the student intends to stay in Australia.
This class of visa comes with its pecks. The visa also permits you to bring eligible members of your family with you to the country and your family members can be permitted to work for a specific number of hours during your stay there. International students can also work for a specific number of hours provided students are above 18 years of age.
There are different types of Australia student visas in Nigeria that you can apply for. They are meant for different educational programs that are done in the country and they are:
- Independent ELICOS (Subclass 570): This stands for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students.
- Schools (Subclass 571): This type of visa allows students to participate in school exchange programs or to enrol in a primary or secondary school.
- Higher Education Sector Visa (Subclass 573): This type of visa is for undergraduates.
- Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (Subclass 574): This is for postgraduate programs.
- Non-Award Sector visa (Subclass 575).
- Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector visa (Subclass 576).
- Proof of Admission: You will need to make sure you’ve been admitted to a school in Australia before you can apply for a student visa. Your admission letter will stand as a proof of admission which will be submitted alongside other documents.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: It is compulsory to present the result of a recently taken English language proficiency test. This could be IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge English Advanced test.
- Valid International Passport: You will need an international passport that is valid for at least six months prior to submission of your application letter. In case the expiring date of your passport is close, you will need to renew it.
- Proof of Financial Status: You need to show proof that you are capable financially of paying your school fees and other expenses in the country. This comes in form of a bank statement of account. And if you are on a scholarship to study in Australia, you will need to present your scholarship letter. Remember that you can also show them the bank account statement of your parents or a sponsor.
- Academic Certificates or Transcripts: You will provide original copies of school certificates and transcripts from the schools you have attended prior to the visa application. These documents are meant to show your past academic performance. You can also add a resume of documents from your previous place of work.
- Passport Photographs: For every visa application, you will need to present recent passport photographs. You will need to submit two passports but you can have four extra in case the need may arise later.
- Criminal record check.
- A medical clearance (certificates for yellow fever and polio vaccinations).
- Fill Online Application Form: Open an ImmiAccount and fill all the necessary spaces in all the online forms appropriately. You can get an Australia visa application form by downloading it online. However, you must fill the Australia student visa online. This can be done through the TLScontact visa application centre’s website.
- Upload your Data: Scan and attach all your documents to your online application. You should also attach your recently taken passport photograph. You should also provide certified copies of your documents. Finally, submit all documents with your online application.
- Book an Appointment with TLScontact: TLScontact is in partnership with the Australian government to render services to Nigerian applicants travelling to Australia.
- Capture Your Biometric Details: You can then go to TLScontact office to get your biometric details captured. After you have submitted your online application and have paid the visa application fee, a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) will be issued to you. This will help you track the visa application process.
- Australia visa fees cost about Aus$550 which is estimated at N132, 963. The amount may change at any time due to exchange rates.
- You will also be required to budget some additional amount of money for biometrics and cost of the transaction when paying online using your credit card.
- Payment for Australian visa can be done online using your MasterCard, PayPal or by visiting the Teleperformance Abuja and Lagos centres.
When you have all the documents listed above, you stand a higher chance to get your Australia student visa application approved. Application for Australia student visa in Nigeria is easy, especially when you have the right information which we have provided here. Get all the required documents and start the procedure immediately!