Canada is the widest country in North America and second biggest in the world. Many know Canada specifically because of her vast landscape, multifaceted history and tolerant blend of different cultures. It is also considered as one of the wealthiest countries in the world and a major destination for international students and tourists. Gros Morne National Park, Calgary Stampede and Bay of Fundy are some of the fun spots students can choose to drench in to enjoy the Canadian experience so if you’re considering studying abroad, learning all you can about the Canadian Student Visa will set you on your way to actualizing your goal.
Universities in Canada are ranked in the top 100 best universities worldwide and over 100,000 international students apply for a Canadian student visa annually in order to enrol as students. Canadian universities are known globally for offering high quality and research-oriented education. The schools are less expensive when compared to those in the UK and the US, which is why most students prefer them. Nigerian students make up a substantial amount of the international student population in Canada so with the Canadian Student Visa, you will not feel far away from home.
- The Canadian student visa serves as a permit for visitors to stay and study within Canada. Officially, it is called a student permit and you can obtain it in Nigeria provided you have all the required documents.
- The Canadian Visa Application Centre (CVAC) is authorized to accept the application and processing of Canadian student visas in Nigeria. When you follow the guidelines, getting the Canadian student visa in Nigeria can be easy.
- Passport: You need to present an original and photocopy of your Nigerian Passport. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months of your stay in Canada and should have at least two blank spaces.
- Photograph: You need two colour photographs that are recently taken. Ensure that the photographs show your full face. It must also be clear and taken with a plain background. It should have a dimension of about 35-40mm.
- Flight Reservation: Also, you are required to present a flight ticket reservation. This should show the airline, date and time of arrival in Canada.
- Hotel Reservation: If your school does not have any plans for accommodation, you should present a confirmation for a hotel reservation.
- Cover/Motivation Letter: This explains your plans for study. It also helps you assure the consular officer that you are passionate about your course of study and that deserve a study visa.
- Proof of Acceptance: If you have the intention of studying in any Canadian institution, you will need to apply for it. The school will send you a letter of acceptance as proof that you have been offered admission to study there. This letter should be included with your student permit application.
- Proof of Financial Support: You must prove that you have sufficient funds in your account that will cater to your needs while you stay and study in Canada. Apart from tuition fee payment, the Canadian authorities expect you to set aside CAD $ 11,000 for your upkeep. Proof of financial capabilities can come in form of your statement of account or your sponsors. In the case where you present your sponsor’s bank statement, you should submit a sponsorship affidavit to your documents.
- Health Status: There is a need to provide a medical report. The report will contain your medical history and proof of good health.
- Certificates of Social ties: These include your marriage certificate (if married) and birth certificate of your children (if applicable).
- An introduction letter from your employer is equally very important.
- Police Certificate: A certificate from the police station will also be required stating that you do not have any criminal record.
- Academic Certificate: You will need to get all the certificates from previous institutions you have attended. You can also get transcripts and other proofs that you have attended other schools prior to your application.
- There is no need for appointment booking because the VFS Global oversees Canada visa application collection is done in Nigeria.
- Payments and application submission can be done online or physically at the visa application centre.
- Gain Admission: Apply for admission into a Canadian educational institution. It is important to secure an admission first because one of the basic requirements for the Canadian student visa application is getting a letter of admission and acceptance from an institution in Canada.
- Gather Supporting Documents: Fill the student permit form then gather all the aforementioned supporting documents. These documents are important because they represent you at the embassy. You should make photocopies of each document and if possible scan them into an electronic device like a computer system or flash drive.
- Submit at the VAC: After submitting your application and making the required payments, a receipt will be issued to you which contains a tracking number. You will use the tracking number to track the progress of the visa application process. Also, be ready for an interview.
- Track your application online.
- Collect your Passport: The last step is to visit the visa application centre as you will be notified (handled by VFS) to collect your visa when it is ready.
The cost of the Canadian Student Visa fee is estimated at ₦54,050.00. The Canadian Embassy partners with VFS Nigeria for application submission. The fee quoted is the summation of the visa fee and VFS Service charge. However, applicants are advised to have extra ₦5,000 for the exchange rate. The fee for the Canadian student visa in Nigeria varies from time to time. At this time, the fee for the study permit is about $150 (CAD) and the biometrics fee is $85 (CAD). You will also need to pay a service fee of $45.
The Canadian Embassy in Nigeria
The Canadian Embassy in Nigeria is located at Anifowoshe street, Victoria Island, Lagos. You can also visit the Canada Visa Application Centre at 62, Lobito Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja or Manor Hall, plot 110, Admiral Ayinla way, Opposite Treasure Garden Estate, Third roundabout, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.
The time for processing a Canadian visa in Nigeria varies depending on the type of application you submit and the number of applicants at that time. The ideal period is usually for eight weeks. To ensure that you have fast approval, you need to apply early before the academic year commences at full swing.
The Canadian Embassy has refused many applications because applicants failed to abide by rules. To get a Canadian student visa in Nigeria easily, ensure you adhere strictly to the guidelines listed in this article. This will also help make the process smooth and the reduce the stress of tracking the process.