The British Council Future News Worldwide is inviting applications for an international summit for the world’s best young media makers in the UK in 2021.
The British Council is looking for 100 of the world’s most talented, motivated, and passionate student journalists to attend an intensive media training programme. You’ll receive exclusive coaching from world-leading editors, broadcasters, writers, and reporters, and see how publishers around the world are using technology to find stories and bring them to life like never before.
Future News Worldwide identifies, trains, and connects the next generation of global journalists. It is a partnership programme between the British Council and some of the world’s leading media organizations. The aim is to support young people to develop a wide range of journalism skills and to establish the UK as a global leader in the nurturing of young journalists and media figures.
Worth of Award
The prize consists of a place at the Future News Worldwide 2021 digital conference and inclusion in the Future News Worldwide alumni network.
This includes the following:
- Attendance at the online Future News Worldwide 2021 conference.
- Inclusion in the Future News Worldwide alumni network with over 400 members.
The Competition is open to individuals of any nationality who meet all the criteria below:
- Aged 18-25 on 1 July 2021.
- A registered undergraduate or postgraduate student (of any subject), enrolled at a university or higher education institution OR a recent graduate who completed their course after 1 July 2019.
- A native speaker of English OR able to speak English at IELTS level 6.5 or equivalent.
- No previous participation in the in-person Future NEWS or Future News Worldwide conference in Edinburgh or London.
- NB: Those who applied for the 2020 conference should have received a message to their registered email address they used when applying last year.
- Dedicated to a career in journalism in any form.
- Available to attend the online conference on either 14 or 15 July 2021.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Entry to the Competition is free of charge, although participants are responsible for any costs incurred connecting to the internet.
How to Apply
To enter, participants must access the application link at https://jobs.guidantglobal.com/british-council-future-news-worldwide and then follow these steps:
- Complete the chatbot questions at the bottom of the page, answering contact and eligibility questions which include equality diversity and inclusion monitoring questions.
- Read and accept the Competition Rules by ticking the “I have read and understood the Competition Rules and agree to the Terms and Conditions” box.
- If the participant meets all the eligibility criteria, they will be sent the link to complete the next stage of the application where they will answer two further questions (please see details below). Applicants will also have the opportunity to upload their portfolios if they wish.
- Submit the application form.
- NB: Upon selection, participants are to provide the requested supporting documents within a week for identification purposes.
Deadline: The opening date of the Competition is May 4 and the closing date is noon GMT on June 8, 2021.