The United Kingdom made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is an island nation in northwestern Europe. England – the birthplace of Shakespeare and The Beatles – is home to the capital, London, a globally influential centre of finance and culture.
International students apply for visas to study in the UK each year, making studying in the UK the number two choice for international students in the world, second only to the USA. With an excellent higher-education system and hundreds of world-class universities, the UK promises a rich experience for international students.
As an international student, you can afford yourself the opportunity to unwind and have the British experience by following the steps on how Nigerian Students can apply for a UK Tier 4 General Student Visa as indicated below.
The United Kingdom (UK) Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is designed for individuals who are sixteen or above and want to study in the UK. They can study in the UK for more than six months. The UK Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a type of UK study visa meant for people whose intention is to study in the UK on a long-term. Short-term study visa and Child study visa are the other types.
- You must be eligible for UK Tier 4 student visa. You are eligible if you have been unconditionally offered a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor and have received a reference number call Confirmation for Acceptance of Study (CAS) from your education provider in the UK.
- Proof of sufficient money or sponsor to support you and pay for your course.
- Valid international passport.
- Be sixteen years old or over.
- Evidence that you understand, speak, read and write English.
- Academic Technology Approval System (ATAS).
- Possess a current and valid passport.
- Also, provide a previous passport if used to travel to the UK.
- Biometric Identity Card/Biometric Residence Permit for the UK (if you have any).
- You should have two (45mmx35mm wide) recently taken passport photographs.
- Previous academic qualifications (as listed on your CAS, this only applies to new students who are applying before starting their course or within the first 6 months of their course).
Other Requirements include
- An English test certificate (only if these are listed on your CAS, this only applies for new students who apply before starting their course or within the first 6 months of their course).
- If any documents are not in English, then provide an official translation.
- Provide your bank statements (if self-funding or if sponsored but sponsorship doesn’t cover all course fees and maintenance).
- Birth certificate (of the applicant – only if using the parent’s bank statements).
- Equally important is the letter of the main applicant’s parent(s), giving permission to use their funds (only if using the parent’s bank statements).
- If sponsored, you need to submit the letter from your official financial sponsor.
- Submit the completed data confidentiality form.
- You will need to open an account to register after which you will be sent an email to unlock your account.
- Open the link sent to you to log in and fill an online application form.
- Pay a visa fee with your credit card and book an appointment for the submission of your documents by clicking on the ‘continue’ button just before the end of the page.
- Take your documents to the office of TLSCONTACT (the address of the TLSCONTACT office to visit will be shown on your appointment confirmation) and submit the printed copy of your visa application form and other supporting documents at TLSCONTACT.
- Ensure to attach supporting documents.
The cost of Tier 4 (General Study) United Kingdom Student Visa fee is estimated at ₦185,055.00. UK Visa fee can be paid online after filling the application using a debit/credit card. Applicants are admonished to be in possession of an extra #5,000 Naira in the event of Naira to dollar differentiation.
The British High Commission is located in three States in Nigeria viz: Abuja, Lagos and Kano. Their addresses will be considered seriatim:
- The Abuja office is located at 19 Torrens Close, Off Mississippi Street, Off Shehu Shagari Way, (North), Maitama, Visa section: Dangote House, Aguiyi Ironsi Street,Wuse, Abuja, with accessible telephone lines : (+234) 8 160 340 925 | (+234) 8 036 591 145 (Visa); Fax: (+234) 9 462 2263 | (+234) 9 462 3223. Email: [email protected]| [email protected], and Website: www.gov.uk/government/world/nigeria.
- The British High Commission Address in Lagos is located at No 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Private Mail Bag 12136, Lagos, with accessible telephone lines: (+234) (1) 277 0780. Fax: (+234) 9 462 2263 | (+234) 9 462 3223; Email: [email protected] | [email protected] , and Website: www.gov.uk/government/world/nigeria.
Additionally, you’ll find
- The British High Commission Address in Kano located at No 5 Tamandu Court, Off Tamandu Road Nassarawa, P.O. Box 11872, Kano with accessible telephone lines: (+234) (64) 631 686 | (+234) 803 590 5442.
It is advised that all letters be addressed to the Visa officer at the UK Embassy. The application for your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa should commence no more than six months after you have received a CAS from an education provider in the UK. It is also advised that you apply for Tier 4 (General) student visa three months before the intended date of travel.