The United States African Development Foundation(USADF) is inviting applications from companies that should be developing, scaling up or extending energy technologies to the off-grid areas of Nigeria for the All On Nigeria Off-Grid Energy Challenge in 2020.
The Nigeria Off-Grid Energy Challenge is a joint initiative of the United States African Development Foundation (USADF) and All On and is designed To increase electrical generation to unserved and underserved communities through sustainable business model solutions; To expand electricity access – delivered through off-grid solutions such as home systems or micro-grids and to increase access to electricity for productive and/or household use – while this may include the power to meet household consumer needs, emphasis is also given to the delivery of power to productive or commercial activities including agricultural production and processing, commercial enterprises, and others.
The Off-Grid Energy Challenge is a key element of the Beyond the Grid sub-initiative of Power Africa, a U.S. Government-led partnership launched in 2013 to double access to electricity in sub-Saharan Africa by 2030 by increasing installed power capacity by 30,000 MW and creating60 million new connections. Of these targeted 60 million new connections, as many as 25-30 million are expected to be added through off-grid solutions.
Worth of Award
USADF and All On are excited to request proposals for the USADF-All On Nigeria Off-Grid Energy Challenge.
- Proposals of up to US$100,000 in 50/50 blended grant/ debt or equity per award will be considered and approximately ten awards are anticipated.
- Winning applicants will receive An investment in the form of a convertible loan at an affordable interest rate and/or an equity investment
- Seed capital in the form of grant funds
- Access to intensive local technical assistance and governance support
- USADF and All On will consider proposals from 100% African-owned and majority Nigerian-owned and Nigerian-managed companies.
- Passports or other government-issued IDs of owners and senior managers must be submitted with the applications.
- The companies applying must be for-profit enterprises and must not be government-owned or operated in any way.
- Applicants may be developers of their own technology and/or may be acquiring and implementing technology developed elsewhere.
- Applicants need to be legally registered in Nigeria and demonstrate the capacity to track and manage the project resources and operate in good standing with the local governments in which they operate.
Winning proposals must:
- Further develop, scale up or extend the use of proven technologies for off-grid energy in Nigeria.
- Benefit marginalized, or low income rural or urban populations currently underserved by utility companies, ideally with a focus on benefits to women and girls and operating in the Niger Delta.
- Demonstrate financial sustainability or the potential for financial sustainability. The proposed investment period must include approximately three months of generation of electricity (or generation of energy) and revenue/cash flow from sales.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of experience or have project sponsors or partners with a proven track record of related experience.
How to Apply
Phase 1 Application Proposal Template (for submission by FEBRUARY 29,
- Applicants background Information
- Applicant profile
- The proposed use of Funds
- The Application is not to exceed fourteen pages (with font size not be to smaller than 10 points).
- Attachments for Phase 1
Phase 2 Application (For submission by those companies that are informed they have made the initial cut in MARCH 2020):
- Attachments for Phase 2
- Business pitch document (maximum 10 slides): Document to include graphs, timelines, and analysis
- Detailed financial model: Applicants will be required to provide a minimum of 5 years company-wide projected financials incorporating
- All applicants are required to use the linked business proposal template. The completed proposal template along with the required documentation should be submitted by email on or before February 29, 2020.
Deadline: Application closes FEBRUARY 29, 2020.