The Xiamen University is inviting applications for the Marine Scholarship for masters and Doctoral degree program in China for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and China’s Ministry of Education jointly initiate the Marine Scholarship of China for the purpose of providing ﬁnancial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Paciﬁc and the Indian Oceans and African, American developing countries.
The aim is to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialities, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
Worth of Award
The Scholarship consists of;
- Tuition fee;
- On-campus accommodation fee or off-campus accommodation monetary subsidy (RMB 700/month for master’s programs; RMB 1,000/month for doctoral programs);
- Living allowance (RMB 3,000/month for master’s programs; RMB 3,500/month for doctoral programs);
- Comprehensive medical insurance.
Note: Other expenses for study in China, such as international travel expenses, cost of the physical examination, security deposit for on-campus accommodation, and cost of course materials, should be borne by the scholarship recipients themselves.
- Applicant must be non-Chinese citizens in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Paciﬁc and its surrounding island countries, or an African, American developing country.
- Applicant must apply for the postgraduate degree program of ocean-related specialties. Applicants will be given priority if they are currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors.
- Educational background and age limits (as of September 1, 2019):
- Master’s degree programs: hold a bachelor’s degree or above and be under the age of 40
- Doctoral degree programs: hold a master’s degree or above and be under the age of 45.
How to Apply
- Applicants shall make online application at and print out the application Form for Marine Scholarship.
- The Scholarships Application Form should be completed in Chinese or English and signed by the applicant.
- Applicants shall make another online application at and upload the scan copy of Application Form for Marine Scholarship.
- Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held responsible for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged application materials will be rejected.
- Applicants are expected to keep their phones on, check their email and online application account regularly as XMU’s Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
- A comprehensive review will be conducted on the applicant’s academic background, academic record, work experience, language proficiency, overall merits, research achievements, and their prospective supervisor’s comments.
- The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to China’s Ministry of Natural Resources and China Scholarship Council for final approval.
Deadline: The application period is from February 1 and closes April 15, 2019.