Russia boasts of a large number of reputable universities which are globally recognized. The country’s universities have excellent facilities and an environment conducive for learning. Tuition fees in Russian universities are affordable when compared to universities in UK and USA. Russia is a beautiful country with a mix of people, cultures and religions. To have the Russian experience, students will have the opportunity to visit wonder sites such as The Altai Mountains, Lake Baikal and so on.
There are many Nigerian students in Russia. There are online forums for Nigerians in Russia and this is an avenue to connect with other Nigerians while in Russia. Furthermore, there are student discounts, which you can take advantage of to reduce your living expenses. To apply for a Russian student visa, follow these simple steps:
Student visas are obtained through the Russian Embassy (Consular Department) or Russian Consulate in Nigeria or your country of residence as the case may be. In certain countries, there are authorized visa centres which provide such services.
Initially, a student visa is issued for three months. After this period you should apply to the local division of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia for a visa extension.
The FMS issues a one-year multi-visa which allows you to travel to and from Russia within the validity period of the visa. When your visa is about to expire, you should apply for a further 1-year extension, and carry on in this manner for the duration of your academic programme.
International students who completed pre-university training and passed entrance examinations to enrol in a basic education programme can have their student visa extended in Russia; they do not need to return to their home country for visa processing. As you consider studying abroad, find below the Russian Student Visa Application Requirements for Nigerians.
- You’ll require a student study visa. A Russian student visa is given to individuals who wish to study in Russia and could be obtained for a college degree, 1-year Master’s degree or for a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- Successful visa applicants are given a single entry Visa with a duration of 3 months to 1 year.
- After your studies begin, your visa can be extended to match the duration of your educational programme.
- You can also request a multi-entry visa after getting your Russia student visa
- A valid international passport (original) and a copy of the front page that will not expire before the visa you are applying for will expire. Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 18 months from the issue date of your visa. Your passport should contain at least two blank pages.
- Two recent passport photographs. You should not use passport photographs that were taken more than 6 months before your visa application. The backdrop of this photo should be white. Photograph 3.5 x 4.5 cm (1.18 x1.57 inches).
- A filled visa application form. You will be able to find the form online. Fill the form on the computer and print it. The application form should be filled carefully. The information on this form should match the data on the other documents you will submit.
- An official letter of Invitation/admission letter from the school in which you are enrolled for entry to Russia (original).
- A valid and recent bank statement. The information on this document should show that you have enough funds to cover your living expenses for the duration of your student visa. This could be your statement of account or your sponsor’s.
- Proof of full or partial payment of your tuition fees.
- School certificates and school transcripts. The documents provided may vary according to the degree you are trying to acquire in Russia. You will need to authenticate these documents before submitting them for assessment.
- A valid and recent HIV/AIDS status certificate is compulsory before you apply for Russia student visa in Nigeria.
- Receipt showing that your visa application fee has been paid.
- Certificate showing clearance from the Nigerian police.
- Proof of health insurance for the period you will be in Russia. It is important to buy health insurance from an approved insurance company.
- For applicants under 18 years – parental consent to travel certified by a notary.
- Flight and hotel reservation.
Note: Paying for actual flight ticket and hotel booking will not guarantee you a Russia student visa in Nigeria. For this reason, you are advised not to book your flight tickets before getting your student visa. However, you can reserve your flight ticket and hotel accommodation.
How to Apply
You do not need to book an appointment when applying for Russia student visa. After you have filled your visa application form, you should take it and all necessary documents to the Russian embassy in Abuja.
- You can start the visa application process 45 days prior to the planned date of arrival in Russia.
- Choose Programme & University.
- Learn about Financing & Scholarships.
- Prepare your Document Package: Fill the document honestly to avoid being denied a student visa. After filling the form, print out the document and sign it.
- Undergo Competitive Selection.
- Get an Invitation and Apply for a Student Visa.
- Submit documents/attend interview.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- You must submit these documents in person; documents are not accepted through a third party. After submitting the documents, you may be directed to produce other documents or even be interviewed. If neither is the case, you will be given a date to contact the embassy for information on your student visa.
- Collect your passport: You can go to collect your passport on your passport collection date. The embassy will inform you about this. You must go to the embassy with the receipt you were given on the day you submitted your visa application form.
Note: After you apply for the Russian student visa in Nigeria, it will take 4-20 days to receive a verdict. However, if you are in a hurry, you can pay an express fee and receive the verdict in 3 working days.
- The cost of the visa depends on your host country. Information on the cost of the visa can be obtained from the Russian Consulate or a visa centre in your country.
- Applying for a Russia student visa in Nigeria attracts an estimated fee of N24,500. Processing this visa will take 4-20 days.
- However, for double that fee, you can purchase the express service. This service ensures that the verdict of your visa application is ready in only 3 days.
- You can pay these fees in the embassy when you go to submit your documents. If you prefer, you can also pay this fee via bank transfer.
Note: You will need to register your student visa immediately you enter Russia. Some schools can help with this process.
The Russian embassy in Nigeria is located at Plot 119, Constitution Avenue, Central Business District, Abuja. Applicants can contact the embassy on (+234) 812 139 3721 and/or via Email: [email protected] The embassy opens from 9am-1pm from Monday to Friday. Visa applications are attended to on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 9 am – 12 pm.
Russia is a beautiful country and if you wish to study there, you will not be alone. You will gain new experiences and meet people from diverse cultures. Student visas are normally issued within two or three weeks. Visa centres can speed up the visa process for an additional fee.
Applicants who obtained their place at a university in Russia through competitive selection and are entitled to a government scholarship (quota), receive their invitation based on a Ministry of Foreign Affairs directive. At the office of the Federal Agency for the CIS Affairs, Compatriots Living Abroad and International Humanitarian Cooperation (Rossotrudnichestvo), they receive a six-digit number of the invitation which they then quote when submitting their visa application.
If the prospective student has fulfilled all the application requirements and received a place at a university through a standard procedure or is a fee-paying student, the invitation will be sent by the university.