Mercatus Centre at George Mason University in the USA is offering MA Fellowship for students pursuing a master’s degree in economics who are interested in gaining an advanced degree in applied economics in preparation for a career in public policy in 2019.
The Mercatus Center’s MA Fellowship program is targeted toward students with an interest in gaining advanced training in economics, but who do not anticipate a career in academia. Students who anticipate working in public policy jobs in research, communications or outreach are ideal candidates for this fellowship.
MA Fellows can pursue skills that prepare them for a career in public policy, including policy research, strategic communications, outreach, and project management. All fellows are required to take courses toward an MA in economics from George Mason University and are encouraged to take electives in courses that further their expertise in conducting and communicating economic analysis of public policy issues. In addition, fellows attend readings groups and career development workshops and spend at least 20 hours a week working with Mercatus scholars and staff.
Worth of Award
- The total award of up to $80,000 (over two years) includes a monthly stipend, full tuition support (nine credits per semester), and practical experience conducting and disseminating research with Mercatus scholars and staff on pertinent policy issues.
- Fellows will work with established scholars that have the academic credentials as well as professional experience that makes them leading experts on public policy issues.
- By working alongside scholars, fellows will learn how to research complex policy issues and communicate sound economic analysis through academic articles, policy publications, congressional testimony, opinion pieces, and blog posts.
- MA Fellows will also have the opportunity to work with Mercatus scholars and staff to learn how to promote, disseminate, and translate economic analysis through written products, video production, media, and podcasts.
- Fellows have gone on to become policy analysts and researchers at federal and state agencies, in Congressional staff positions, at think tanks, and academic research centres.
- Acceptance into the fellowship program is dependent on acceptance into George Mason University’s MA program in economics.
- You must complete the standard application for fall admission to the MA program in Economics at George Mason University, and indicate on the application that you would like to be considered for funding.
How to Apply
To apply to the MA Fellowship, please click the “Apply Now” button and complete the online application. The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- your research and research interests,
- your familiarity with Mason and Mercatus scholars and their research, and
- what you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A 500-1000 word essay on “Why do some societies prosper, while others remain stagnant and poor?”
- A 10-page writing sample that demonstrates your writing and research skills
- A few short answer questions
Deadline: Application Deadline has been extended to February 25, 2019.