The Center for Chinese Studies is currently offering foreign scholars from universities overseas grants to come to Taiwan to conduct research on Chinese or Taiwan studies in 2022.
In July 1989, the Center for Chinese studies implemented the Research Grant for Foreign Scholars in Chinese Studies program. More than 400 foreign scholars from over 40 countries have received financial assistance to come to Taiwan to pursue their research. Due to the outstanding success of this program in promoting international scholarly exchange, from 2010 the Center was given the responsibility for administering the ROC Ministry of Foreign Affairs Taiwan Fellowship.
Although there are some differences between the two programs in terms of application deadlines and procedures, both programs welcome applications from foreign scholars of the humanities and social sciences (including professors, associate professors, assistant professors and PhD candidates) who wish to carry out research in Taiwan for periods between three months and one year.
Worth of Award
- CCS provides assistance with research expenses, research materials, liaison with universities and research institutions, use of CCS facilities, etc.
- Grantees are entitled to travel subsidies and research subsidies.
- Eligibility for travel subsidies is restricted to foreign scholars who currently reside abroad; those already in Taiwan are not eligible.
Subsidies available under the Research Grant Program are as follows:
- Travel subsidies: One direct round trip economy class air ticket from the domicile of the grantee to Taipei will be provided by CCS. Travel expenses will be reimbursed upon the grantee’s arrival in Taiwan on the basis of the ticket stub and receipt.
- Research subsidies: To be paid at the beginning of each month and divided into four levels: professor (including post-doctoral researcher), associate professor, assistant professor, and doctoral candidate.
- Researchers at academic/research institutes will also receive grants according to the above scale. The actual amount of research subsidies is determined by CCS and any adjustments to those amounts will be decided upon by the CCS Advisory Committee.
Applicants should be foreign professors, associate professors, assistant professors (Post-Doctor), doctoral candidates, or research fellows from academic institutions abroad, and their research in Taiwan should be related the field of Chinese studies and Taiwan studies.
How to Apply
Applications should include the following documents:
- Application form
- Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications)
- Research plan
- Letter(s) of recommendation
For more details please contact the Center for Chinese Studies at the address below: Liaison Division, Center for Chinese Studies, 20 Chungshan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan 10001, R.O.C.
Deadline: Applications should be submitted to the CCS by May 31 of each year before the year in which grants are intended to be used; notification of CCS’s decision will be given by the end of August of the same year after a careful review.