The University of Sydney in Australia is inviting applications for a Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Complex Biological Date Extraction in 2019.
An opportunity is available for two outstanding Masters by Research or PhD scholars in the area of statistical bioinformatics, computational bioinformatics and computational biology.
This Scholarship is funded by the University of Sydney is available to all students interested in developing novel statistical tools or novel computation approaches to integrating high-throughput molecular data with biological knowledge that will support discoveries in complex diseases.
The Scholarship holder may conduct up to 12 months of their research outside Australia. Approval must be sought from the student’s supervisor, Head of School and the Faculty via application to the Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre (HDRAC), and will only be granted if the research is essential for completion of the degree. All periods of overseas research are cumulative and will be counted towards a student’s candidature. Students must remain enrolled full-time at the University and receive approval to count time away.
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship will provide an annual stipend allowance equivalent to the RTP rate (indexed to the RTP rate on January one each year) for up to three years for a PhD recipient, and two years for a recipient undertaking a Masters by Research, subject to satisfactory academic performance. PhD recipients may apply for up to a 6-month extension.
- Academic course fees will be provided for 12 research periods for a student enrolled in a PhD and 8 research periods for a recipient enrolled in a Masters by Research. PhD recipients may apply for up to two additional research periods.
- Periods of study already undertaken towards the degree prior to the commencement of the Scholarship will be deducted from the maximum duration of the Scholarship excluding the potential extension period.
- International applicants with an unconditional offer of admission for full-time studies in a Masters by Research or PhD within the Faculty of Science at the University of Sydney, and who are willing to undertake research in the field of computational biology.
- Applicants must hold an Honours degree (First Class or Second Class upper) or a Master’s degree in a related field with a substantial research component, or equivalent.
- Applicants must have a background in statistical bioinformatics, computational bioinformatics, applied statistics, data science and computational biology.
How to Apply
The application is online. Please click on the link below
Deadline: Applications close February 15, 2019, at 11:59 PM.