Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, is offering a limited number of partial scholarships to students from developing countries in all fee based programs in academic year 2013/14.
A total of five scholarships are available, ear-marked for students from developing countries and/or countries going through a process of political and economic transition.
Worth of Awards
- Under the terms of this scholarship, students will receive a waiver of school fees for their first semester of study, plus a one-off payment of Kc 50,000 (about 2,050 Euro) as a contribution towards living costs.
- School fees for the second semester of study will NOT be waived.
- Although they would like to continue the scholarship scheme in school year 2014/15, this is subject to their receiving further funding for future years. At present, therefore, they cannot guarantee that similar scholarships will be available for students’ second year of study.
- Applications for these scholarships are open to all students from developing countries and/or countries going through a process of political and economic transition, who are applying for study in one of the Bachelor’s studies or Master’s studies programmes at Charles University Faculty of Social Sciences from academic year 2013/14.
- Successful scholarship applicants will receive payment at the start of their first semester, no later than one month after they register for their studies. No money will be paid in advance of the students’ arrival in Prague.
- Before students receive their scholarships, they will also be required to make an advance payment in respect of their school fees for the second semester. This payment will be held as a surety until February 2013, and will thereafter be used to cover the cost of the student’s classes in the second semester. No further charge will be made for school fees in school year 2013/14.
- In the event that students are forced to terminate their studies for disciplinary reasons, the surety they have paid for their school fees in the second semester is not returnable. However, in the event that students are unable to continue their studies for medical reasons, an adequate refund can be negotiated.
- Scholarships are awarded for school year 2013/14, and may not be deferred to later years.
- In the event that the Faculty of Social Sciences succeeds in obtaining the necessary funding to continue this scholarship scheme in school year 2014/15, existing scholarship holders will be given the opportunity to reapply. However, any extension of the scholarship will be conditional on students achieving satisfactory results in their first year.
- Scholarships will not be offered for a third year of study (master’s degree) or for a fourth year of study (bachelor’s degree) under any circumstances.
How to Apply
- Applications must be made online, and must include the following documents:
- completed application form;
- motivation essay of no more than 1000 words, explaining why they need a scholarship, and what they hope to gain from their studies at Charles University;
- two letters of recommendation from teachers, who know the student from their previous studies, including confirmation of the student’s financial need.
- Note: The current scholarship holders who are reapplying do not need to submit the two recommendation letters or write the essay. Please include a cover note and one recommendation letter from a Charles University academic who knows you from your studies with your applicatioon.
- Applications should be sent to Manager, International Office (at the address below).
- All documents submitted must be originals and written in the English language, or accompanied by certified translations.
Deadline: The deadline for scholarship applications is 30 April 2013. Students who will have problems meeting this deadline due to inefficient or unreliable postal services may, as a temporary measure, submit fax copies and/or scanned copies by e-mail. However, originals must also be sent, and final decisions will not be made until originals have been received.
For more details and to apply, click here