The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) in the USA invites proposals for the NED Grants Programme for projects that advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions in 2020.
Each year, NED makes more than 1,600 grants to support the projects of non-governmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 90 countries.
NED is interested in proposals from local, independent organizations for nonpartisan programs that seek to:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy
All proposed projects must be consistent with NED’s general purposes as outlined in the NED Statement of Principles and Objectives.
Worth of Award
NED Grants Programme amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months and is around $50,000.
- NED funds only nongovernmental organizations, which may include civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar organizations.
- NED encourages applications from organizations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
- NED does not make grants to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities.
How to Apply
All applications for NED Grants Programme must include the following items:
- Proposal Cover Sheet (pdf)
This form collects basic organizational information.
- Proposal Narrative
This is the written description of the project you would like to conduct with NED funds. Please follow the Proposal Guidelines. You may prepare the Proposal Narrative in English or your local language. Proposals should be approximately 10 pages in length.
- Interim Assessment (for renewal proposals only)
This is an assessment of your organization’s previous NED grant if any. It should be included as part of the proposal narrative.
- Proposal Budget
This is the financial description of the project you would like to conduct with NED funds and should correspond to the activities in the Proposal Narrative. Please follow the Additional Guidance and use the Budget Template whenever possible.
- Registration Documents (if applicable)
Please include your Certificate of Registration or other documentation showing the legal status of your organization. If your organization is not registered, this documentation is not required. Instead, please include an explanation (in the Proposal Cover Sheet) as to why your organization is not registered and the status of any pending applications for registration.
- Read the Step-by-Step Online Application Instructions.
- When ready, please send your proposal application via only one method below. You will be asked to create a user account for your organization. If you have previously applied online, you may log in using your organization’s existing account.
To apply by email:
Send all of the application materials by email to [email protected]
To apply by post:
Send all of the application materials to
National Endowment for Democracy:
Attn: Grant Proposals
1025 F Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20004 USA
To apply by fax:
+1 (202) 378-9407
Deadline: Proposal Submission Deadline
March 27, 2020
June 19, 2020
*Proposals submitted after the deadline will be considered at the following Board Meeting.
Board of Directors Meeting
June 19, 2020
September 11, 2020
*Applicants will be notified of the Board of Directors’ decision by email within one business week of the board meeting date.