The South African Association of Botanists is inviting applications for the “SAAB Scholarships” to students in the 2019/20 academic year.
The South African Association of Botanists (SAAB) was founded in order to promote and maintain the status of the Botany profession across all sectors and to perform functions which may attain the objectives of the profession.
SAAB represents various academic botanical disciplines, with members in universities, academic institutions and research institutions across the country.
Worth of Award
- There will be 3 scholarships awarded, to the value of R10 000 each for studies at Honours level (or 4th year), in a botanically-related science field of study.
- There will also be 1 scholarship awarded, to the value of R40 000 for MSc studies.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Resident in one of the SADC countries (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Swaziland, Angola, Malawi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Seychelles, Mozambique, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros)
- Graduated with a minimum overall average of 70%
- Study at a tertiary institution in South Africa
- Currently a member/ apply to become a member of SAAB
- Have a supervisor that is a paid-up member of SAAB
- MSc students: graduated with a BSc honours degree AND achieved a minimum overall average of 70%
How to Apply
Students who meet the requirements and would like to apply must submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Full academic transcripts (certified copies)
- Curriculum Vitae (with names and contact details of 2 referees)
- Motivational letter written by yourself with a description of your proposed honours/ 4th year research interests
- Motivational letter (from your honours/4th-year project supervisor)
- Names and values of the other bursaries/ scholarships you have applied for
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to [email protected]
(Insert the words “SAAB Scholarship – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
Please ensure that your documents are in .pdf format
Deadline: February 27, 2019. (Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)