The New Zealand government is offering Scholarships to qualified candidates from selected developing countries in the 2020/21 session. These Scholarships build potential leaders and scholars leave with a world-class education, lifelong friendships and vital skills to strengthen their careers and home countries.
New Zealand Scholarships are funded through the New Zealand Aid Programme and administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to help build sustainable development in partner countries and a lifetime connection with New Zealand.
The purpose is for candidates to gain knowledge and skills through postgraduate study in specific subject areas that will assist in the development of their home country. Awardees are required to return to their home country for at least two years after the completion of their scholarship to apply these new skills and knowledge in government, civil society, or private business organisations.
International scholars value New Zealand’s friendly people, its world-class education, the approachable lecturers, and the opportunity to develop critical thinking in a safe and multicultural environment.
Worth of Award
With a full New Zealand Scholarship, scholars receive:
- Full tuition fees
- Return economy air travel and travel insurance
- Medical insurance when you are in New Zealand
- Provision for students to meet basic living costs
- An establishment allowance to help with set-up costs in New Zealand
- Help with research and thesis costs for many postgraduate students
The partners of students may be eligible for a work visa that allows them to live and work in New Zealand for the duration of their partner’s study.
New Zealand Scholarships are available to citizens of these countries in Africa:
Eligible African countries:
Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Levels of study available:
You can study these qualifications at one of eleven New Zealand universities and education institutions:
- Postgraduate Certificate (6 months)
- Postgraduate Diploma (1 year)
- Master’s Degree (1-2 years)
- PhD (up to 3.5 years)
To apply for a New Zealand Scholarship, you must meet all of the eligibility criteria. You can complete the online questionnaire to confirm whether you can apply.
The Eligibility questionnaire will check in detail if you meet all of the eligibility criteria. The Eligibility questionnaire will check things such as:
- Which country you hold citizenship in
- How long you have been living in your home country
- How much work experience you have
- Whether we provide scholarships to your country
- Whether your intended study aligns to levels and sectors provided to your country
- You must complete the eligibility questionnaire before you can apply for a Scholarship.
How to Apply
The New Zealand Scholarship application process differs depending on which country or region you are from. You can apply between the application opening and closing dates for your country.
Follow these steps:
- Complete the Online Eligibility Test to see if you are eligible to apply. If the Online Eligibility Test confirms that you are eligible, you will get an eligibility code (number). This eligibility code displays on your screen at the end of the test.
- To access an online form for a New Zealand government department, first, you need to register online. This registration system is called RealMe. You will need a RealMe login (username and password) to access the online New Zealand Scholarship application form. You also need the same RealMe login to apply for a student visa if you get a scholarship.
- Please remember your RealMe username and password. You need this login to view, edit and submit your New Zealand Scholarship application form.
- Note: You will not need to verify your RealMe account with a post office. This is only necessary for New Zealanders.
- Use your eligibility code from Step 1 to register online with the New Zealand Scholarships online application system.
- Note: Steps 2 and 3 require you to register with two different IT systems.
- Use your RealMe login to access the New Zealand Scholarship online application system anytime between the opening and closing dates for your country.
Deadline: Application for Eligible African Countries close Friday, February 28, 2020, 12.00 pm NZ Time.