East China Normal University in China is inviting applications for its Confucius Institute Scholarship (CIS) awards to Doctoral candidates for the 2019/2020 academic session.
For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
East China Normal University (ECNU) is a comprehensive public research university in Shanghai. It was formed in 1951 by the merger of the Great China University founded in 1924 and Kwang Hua University (est. 1925) which had its ultimate origins in the St. John’s College established in the city in 1879. Its original role was to train teachers for secondary and higher education, as suggested in the name “Normal”, but very soon housed top-class researchers and evolved into an elite research-intensive university.
Worth of Award
- Exempt from tuition fee; provide accommodation on campus: economic double room
- Living allowance: 3500 RMB/month.
- Provide comprehensive medical care insurance for International Students
All applicants should be:
- Non-Chinese citizens
- In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
- Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language
- Between the ages of 16-35. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45.
- Applicants shall be Master degree holders and have a minimum score of 200 in HSK Test (Level 6) as well as 60 in HSKK test (e Level). Applicants have been employed by the Chinese Teaching Institute for at least 2 years.
How to Apply
- For the application, please log on to the ECNU online application system and Confucius Institute Scholarships website to register, complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Contact Recommending InstitutionsThe applicants provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely. All of the documents should be original and with a duplicate copy.
- Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship （filled in Chinese or English and generated by on-line application）:
- Copy of passport
- BA, MA diploma (original or notarized photocopy): Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- BA, MA Academic transcripts (original or notarized photocopy): Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- A study or research plan. All applicants are required to submit a study or research plan. It must be in Chinese or in English and no less than 3000 words.
- Recommendation letters from recommending Institution.
- Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors.
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (The original copy should be kept by the applicant.) The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Please select the appropriate time to take a medical examination as it is valid for only 6 months.
- HSK & HSKK (the Chinese Proficiency Test) Certificate.
- Application fee: 800RMB
- Award certificates
Deadline: Application closes May 20th, 2019.