The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS NEI) is inviting applications for its AIMS NEI Fellowships for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS) in Africa 2019.
The AIMS NEI Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS) seeks to increase women’s participation in, and contribution to, to a more sustainable societal response to climate change.
This fellowship program was made possible by a grant from the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, www.idrc.ca, and financial support from the Government of Canada, provided through Global Affairs Canada (GAC), www.international.gc.ca. It is part of a broader effort by AIMS NEI to build the intellectual capital needed to better our understanding of the causes of climate change in Africa, and to solve the myriad challenges to Africa’s development resulting from climate change.
Worth of Award
- The fellowship is worth up to USD 35,000. The exact amount of the fellowship will be specified at the time of the award.
- This amount will be paid to the Fellow in three instalments in accordance with a schedule that will be defined at the time of the award.
- Fellows must submit accurate banking details (using the form provided below) to avoid delays in receiving their fellowship payments.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- In possession before the fellowship start date of a doctorate in a quantitative discipline, including but not limited to applied mathematics, climatology, physics, computational chemistry, statistical ecology, computer science, theoretical biology, and engineering;
- Currently employed, on either a permanent or a temporary basis, in a non-profit work environment, including government;
- Actively engaged in research, policy, and/or practice relevant to climate change modelling, mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience among others; and
- The lead and/or senior author of at least one refereed publication on a topic relevant to climate change modelling, the causative factors of climate change, climate change mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience etc.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete this online application form and submit by the 28 February 2019,
23:59 CAT with the following documents attached:
- Completed personal details form, including a detailed budget for all non-project related activities;
- A completed project proposal form, including a detailed budget for all project-related
- A curriculum vitae; and
- An electronic copy of a representative publication in climate change modelling, its
causes, climate change mitigation, adaptation and/or resilience in which the applicant is
the lead and/or senior author
Deadline: Application closes February 28, 2019.