There are many reasons you should opt to Study in Asia, and China in particular for a university degree. From being one of the worlds fastest growing economy to the rapid industrialization the country is witnessing through the application of cutting-edge technology, to the warm reception from Chinese citizens, China is in itself, a centralized multicultural society hosting the largest number of Humans in the world. Chinese food and cuisines with great aroma is another reason you want to be in China.

And what more, the Chinese government and her universities are generous with Scholarships, most of which are fully funded from foundational programs in the Chinese Language to Doctoral degrees and short courses. These scholarships are open to International students too.

Scholarship applications vary from school to province, but in most cases, one has to apply for admission to a participating or desired tertiary institution.

On a general note, these five steps will put you through:

1: Research and Choose the Program at the School you want.

This is because not all schools may be able to offer the programme of your choice with choice modules and varying teaching levels. However, there are various disciplines you can pick from to study in English in China. Here are some top Chinese universities you should consider for your study abroad adventure:

If you know what to study or where to go, you can search the courses through a verified online database. If you have no idea about the Chinese education system or Chinese universities, you can also get by checking out the universities and contacting their support staff.

2: Prepare your Application documents

By now, you should have found your programme of study, researched application deadlines and, tuition and other costs, not forgetting funding opportunities available to you as an international student. you may need to prepare the following documents:

  • Passport photo
  • Photocopy of valid passport
  • Personal ID card
  • Health certificate
  • Certification of no criminal record
  • Chinese/English language proficiency certificate
  • Letter of guarantee (parent or legal guardian of student signs a declaration by which he/she assumes responsibility for the student to abide rules and regulations of China and of the university)
  • Proof that you can support your studies in China
  • Certificate/diploma from last graduated school
  • Academic transcript from last graduated school

More documents may be required, depending on each school’s request.

3: Ensure you fulfil the entry requirements

International students who want to study at Chinese universities must meet the general requirements set out by both the Chinese government and the university they apply to.

Admission Requirements of the Chinese Government

  • Applicant must be a real student, who holds a student or visitor visa;
  • No criminal records. Applicants from some countries are requested to provide a non-criminal certificate notarized and certified by the Chinese Embassy;
  • Some official sectors restrict the number of applicants from certain countries;
  • Applicants should have the appropriate qualifications and be able to meet all the requirements (in accordance with the school requirements), be in a reliable financial state and have a guarantor in China;
  • Transfer students need to provide the agreement certificate from the two schools.

For more information regarding the requirements of the Chinese Government, please contact the Chinese Ministry of Education or China Scholarship Council.

Admission Requirements of Chinese Universities

In accordance with different levels of degree, Chinese universities have different requirements for all enrollees. Before applying, you must carefully review these requirements.

  • Usually, non-degree language and culture programs have minimum requirements; as long as you have obtained a high school diploma, you can apply for admission.
  • Chinese-medium degree programs (i.e. degree programs taught in Mandarin Chinese) require the applicant to provide HSK results to prove their Chinese language proficiency. Applicants for master’s degrees also need to provide a copy of transcripts and recommendation letters.
  • English-medium programs do not require HSK results. Instead, applicants for English-medium programs should provide recognized English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. (English native speakers or those who hold an academic degree taught in English need not provide test scores).
  • More and more universities are starting to offer international programs taught in English. These programs will no longer require HSK examination results and are suitable for international applicants.
  • Normally, a transfer student will not be accepted by any of the Chinese universities.
  • Please note that GCSE holders are not admitted onto degree programs by China’s universities; those students should apply for a one year program of Pre-College training (or International Foundation Year program) at the chosen university.

4: Apply to the Programme of your Choice

An application can be made directly to the school online or through mail. In some cases, schools determine the application method. There usually an application fee, which may be waived depending on some circumstances. you can also apply using the CUCAS, known as China’s University and College Admission System, which is an official online portal for international students applying to China’s universities. It is jointly operated by CEAIE and Chiwest Ltd., a China’s leading IT company.

CUCAS argues that by using the their application service, you can make multiple applications at one time. CUCAS consultants will help you to choose the best programs, and the CUCAS Student Service Team will assist you to prepare and submit the required documents.

  • Once Chinese universities have received your applications, CUCAS will regularly report to you about which stage of processing your application is up to.
  • CUCAS is responsible for getting admission information from universities and informing students of the admission decision online. CUCAS is commissioned to receive your admission package from universities and deliver it to you.
  • Generally, you only need to pay a minimum CUCAS service fee of $50. Some popular  universities in China charge $150 instead.
  • An application through CUCAS can be completed fully online, and and be finished no more than 20 minutes. The application procedure on CUCAS is simple and convenient.
They further argued that Based on the experience in their hometown, some students will choose to apply the university directly, but if your Chinese is not good, they suggest you shouldn’t apply to university directly because:
  • Student recruitment offices are often too slow to respond and may have limited English level.
  • Some schools demand student present application materials in person.
  • Delays due to time differences.
  • Strict cut-off dates for applications.
  • Accommodation can be really hard to reserve.

5: Apply for Visa

Students who intend to study in China need to apply for a visa, it is really simple. First of all, you should know what kind of visa you need to apply:
  • X1 visa: For the student who will take the course more than 180 days.
  • X2 visa: For the student who will take the course less than 180 days.
  • L Visa: For the student who takes summer program or winter program.

Documentation required:

  • Original passport Photo
  • One completed Visa Application Form
  • Proof of legal stay or residence status
  • Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter
  • Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China”, known as Form JW201 or Form JW202 (Only required for X1 Visa).
Besides the documentation mentioned above, other documents might be required by visa officers in order to decide whether to issue the visa on a case by case basis.

6: Go to China and Study.

Subscribe to our newsletter!
Clicking "Subscribe me" is successful, even if you don't see any confirmation here