Bournemouth University in the UK is offering a fully funded PhD Studentships to International Students in diverse areas for Full-time studies commencing April 2019.
Faculty of Management: Mental Health & Physical Literacy: Whole-School Approaches & Community Engagement: This PhD project sits within a larger collaborative partnership between BU and a multi-agency collective (Stormbreak: https://www.stormbreak.org.uk) that is focused on improving children’s psychological wellbeing through movement, sport and physical activity and equipping young people with sustainable, transferable skills and coping strategies to survive within the chaotic and complex demands of growth into adult life in the 21st Century.
Faculty of Science & Technology:
- Virtual-Real Object Registration for Stable and Accurate Augmented Reality Technology: This research project aims at developing efficient and accurate registration algorithms for challenge AR applications, where large surface deformations of objects are the most difficult to capture, due to either complexity of dynamic motions or image capture conditions. The algorithm developed in this project will be evaluated in the context of dynamic scene such as an AR environment with moving objects and object occlusions. A computational framework will also be developed to extend the scape of applications into augmented reality games for professional training.
- Artificial Intelligence Assisted Virtual Reality System for Blockchain Network: At present, virtual reality has been widely used. Head-mounted displays (HMDs) produce the feeling of actually being immersed in the virtual world. It allows users to effectively explore complicated blockchain network graphs, etc., without having to project them into 2D display. In summary, the aims and objectives of the project are: to develop a novel machine learning assisted immersive visualisation system for mutually distributed ledger network.
Worth of Award
- A fully-funded Studentship includes a maintenance grant of £14,777 per year to contribute towards living expenses during the course of your research, as well as a fee waiver for 36 months.
- Associated costs – such as fieldwork and conference attendance – will also be met under the Studentship.
- The PhD Studentships are open to UK, EU and International students.
- Candidates for a PhD Studentship should demonstrate outstanding qualities and be motivated to complete a PhD in 4 years and must demonstrate:
- A 1st class honours degree or a Master’s degree with distinction or equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA)
an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 minimum (with a minimum 6.0 in each component) for candidates for whom English is not their first language
- In addition to satisfying minimum entry criteria, BU will look closely at the qualities, skills and background of each candidate and what they can bring to their chosen research project in order to ensure successful completion.
- Applicants will be asked to submit an online application form and a proposal (approximately 1500 words) outlining their understanding of the project for which they are applying, the approach they would envisage taking and what qualities they will bring to the research community.
- Current BU Doctoral students are not eligible to apply for a Studentship
- Current MRes/MPhil students can apply, subject to satisfactory completion of their Research Degree prior to being able to take up the award
- PhD Studentships cannot be used to support BU staff to complete doctoral programmes
- Each Studentship has its own criteria that candidates need to fulfil, in terms of knowledge and/or expertise. In addition, we will look closely at your qualities, skills and background to determine what you could bring to a specific research project.
How to Apply
- To apply, click the green Apply Now button on the Studentship page and complete the online application form.
- You will then be taken to our online application portal, myHub.
- You will need to create an account and complete the application form in full.
- You can save the form as you go, enabling you to return to it at as many times as you want before submitting.
- The form is split into tabbed sections.
- As you complete each of the tabbed sections they will turn green – only click submit once all of your tabs are highlighted green.
Deadline: Applications end January 31, 2019. Hurry up and apply immediately