The University of York in the UK is offering the Equal Access Scholarships for students who are seeking refuge in the UK and seeking to pursue an undergraduate degree programme in 2021.
Founded on principles of excellence, equality and opportunity for all, the University of York opened in 1963 with just 230 students. Since then they have become one of the world’s leading universities, carving out a reputation as an academic powerhouse where a clear focus on excellence has secured national and international recognition alongside longer-established institutions.
A member of the elite Russell Group of universities, they are a dynamic, research-intensive university committed to the development of life-saving discoveries and new technologies to tackle some of the most pressing global challenges.
There are now over 30 academic departments and research centres and the student body has expanded to nearly 16,000.
Worth of Award
The scholarship provides:
- a full fee waiver (you will not need to pay any tuition fees)
- a maintenance award of up to £10,660 to help with living costs
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- have discretionary or limited leave to remain in the UK or
- be a dependent or partner of someone with discretionary or
- limited leave to remain or
- you or your parent/guardian or partner have submitted an asylum or humanitarian protection application and not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application*
- have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place at university
- be unable to access mainstream UK student funding due to your immigration status, ie you are not eligible for Student Finance for the 2021/22 academic year
- not have completed an undergraduate degree
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate course at York of up to four years duration
- have made York your first choice (firm choice) through UCAS.
*If you have already been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England (gov.uk).
How to Apply
- You must apply online for this scholarship using their scholarship application form (available on their web page)
- As part of the application, you will need to provide:
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words explaining why you would like to be considered for the scholarship
- evidence of the current status of your application for asylum or humanitarian protection
- This is a competitive process and only two applicants will be successful
- A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
Deadline: You must submit your application form before the deadline of April 19, 2021.