The University of Tokyo in Japan is offering the Global Science Course Scholarships for Undergraduates studies commencing in the 2021/2022 academic year.
All students admitted to the GSC Undergraduate Transfer Program will be awarded the “Faculty of Science Scholarship”. This scholarship is provided to help pay for the admission fee and annual tuition fees, and to support daily expenses.
Upon arrival, a Student Tutor will be assigned to each GSC student. The tutor will help students with their new life in Tokyo, such as assisting with residential registration and opening a bank account. TAs will help students adjust to their new academic life at UTokyo, mainly in lab sessions.
The GSC Japanese Language Course, for beginner level students, is offered for GSC students to help with everyday life in Japan. In addition to this course, various levels of Japanese classes are offered throughout the University. While no prior Japanese language skill is required to apply to GSC, students are highly recommended to utilize the extensive Japanese language-learning opportunities available during their stay in Japan.
Worth of Award
- Under this scholarship, students receive 150,000 Japanese Yen per month during their time as a GSC student (for up to two consecutive years).
- In addition to the monthly scholarship, the University will arrange housing with fully supported monthly rent for GSC students (for up to two consecutive years). Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to pay for any other fees such as utilities and internet.
- Prospective students who wish to apply to GSC Undergraduate Transfer Program must fulfil the criteria listed below. The GSC Faculty Committee will evaluate each applicant individually to determine eligibility only after the application is officially submitted online.
- Prospective students must have received a minimum of 6 years of secondary (junior and senior high school) and a minimum of 2 years of post-secondary (university) education outside of Japan.
- Prospective students must be a full-time university student who has successfully completed or will be completing their first two years of undergraduate studies at an accredited higher educational institution before enrolling into GSC.
- Prospective students must have completed basic undergraduate-level classes in Chemistry and at least 2 of the following subjects before applying to GSC: Mathematics, Physics, or Biology.
- Prospective students must have gained a minimum of 62 credits corresponding to the Tokyo credit system before applying to GSC.
(Reference: 2 credits consist of 13 weeks of 105-min lectures at UTokyo)
- Prospective students must have a good command of the English language as all lectures are conducted in English. Applicants who do not fulfill either criterion i. or ii. must submit one of the following English proficiency test scores.
- English is your native/first language.
- English was the language of instruction at your secondary and post-secondary schools for the last 8 years.
How to Apply
- Applicants are required to read and to understand the following application guidelines carefully and prepare the required documents before completing any part of the application form.
- Please feel free to contact the GSC Administration Office if you have any questions.
- Complete all sections in English.
- As the online application system only allows filled information to be saved at the end, make sure to write your personal statement and prepare the required documents in advance.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the form has been completed as required and that there are no mistakes.
- Once submitted, you cannot make changes to your application, and we will not respond to any requests asking to change any part of the form.
Deadline: Applications close 17:00, March 24, 2021 (JST)