The Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) invites applications MEST Africa’s second annual MEST Africa Challenge, a Pan-African pitch competition for scale-ups who are ready to expand into new markets.
The team at MEST, along with this year’s platinum sponsor Microsoft, looks forward to hosting the second edition of the Challenge FInals at the 2019 MEST Africa Summit, which will bring together leading African and global entrepreneurs, investors, corporate partners and ecosystem players in MEST Africa’s newest home, Nairobi, Kenya.
For more than 10 years, MEST has trained aspiring African entrepreneurs and invested in exceptional businesses with Pan-African ambitions. These businesses have gone on to enter new markets, with MEST growing alongside them as we’ve learned about the opportunities and challenges they face as they scale. Today, MEST Africa is the continent’s largest incubator network, present in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa and Cote d’Ivoire.
Worth of Award
- The inaugural MEST Africa Challenge in 2018 saw over 700 applications across four markets, out of which 40 made it into the regional finals in Accra, Lagos, Nairobi, and Cape Town. One representative from each of team was flown to Cape Town, where they presented in front of a jury of judges from Facebook, MTN, and Meltwater, as well as the Summit’s global audience of investors, Pan-African entrepreneurs, and corporate leaders.
- Country winners from each region will be flown to the finals at the MEST Africa Summit in Nairobi to compete for up to $50,000 in equity investment and a range of other support to accelerate their Pan-African scale-up.
- This is a competition for scale-ups based in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa or Cote d’Ivoire
- If you are a post-revenue tech business, in any vertical, who can show why you should be taken seriously as a leader in your space, you are encouraged to apply.
● Be post-revenue
● Operate in the market in which they are applying
● Be primarily tech-focused
How to Apply
- The Application is online through their website
Top companies in each region will be invited to pitch at regional events, to be held on the following dates, at MEST Incubator locations or local partners office:
- Accra: Wednesday, February 27
- Nairobi: Wednesday, February 27
- Lagos: Thursday, February 28
- Cape Town: Thursday, February 28
- Abidjan: Thursday, February 28
Deadline: Applications open January 15th, 2019 and will close February 15th, 2019