Google Online Marketing Challenge calls on students to apply for the 2013 Online Challenge where students are to develop and run an online advertising campaign for a business or non-profit organization over a three week period with a $250 budget provided by Google.
The Google Online Marketing Challenge is an exciting opportunity for students to experience and create online marketing campaigns using Google AdWords and Google+. Over 50,000 students and professors from almost 100 countries have participated in the past 5 years.
Worth of Awards
- The teams that develop and communicate the most successful campaigns win awesome prizes, including a trip to Google for the students and their professor.
- Students also have the opportunity to participate in the optional Google+ Social Media Marketing Award by maintaining a Google+ Page for their clients over a six week period.
- AdWords Awards: There are four competition regions – The Americas, Europe, Middle East/Africa, and Asia Pacific. In addition to an overall global winner, there is one winner from each region.
- Global Winners : The Global Winners and their professor will receive a seven-night trip to San Francisco, including one day at the Google Headquarters in Mountain View, California to meet with Googlers from the AdWords, University Programs and Marketing teams. The team will also receive computing devices, along with other prizes.
· Regional Winners: Regional Winners and their professor receive a two-night trip to a regional Google office. The teams will also receive computing devices, as well as other prizes.
·Google+ Social Media Marketing Award Winners: Each student in the Global and Regional Social Media winning teams will receive a computing device, as well as other prizes. Additionally, Global Winners and their Professor will get an exciting opportunity to participate in a Google+ Hangout with Google+ team members (to be scheduled at Google’s discretion).
·Social Impact Award Winners: Each student in the three top performing teams will receive a computing device, along with other prizes. Additionally, Global Winners and their Professor will get an exciting opportunity to participate in a Google+ Hangout with Google.org team members (to be scheduled at Google’s discretion).
Winning teams will also receive the following donations for their partners:
- 1st place – $15,000 donation to the non-profit partner
- 2nd place – $10,000 donation to the non-profit partner
- 3nd place – $5,000 donation to the non-profit partner
- All winners and their professors will be provided with personalized certificate of appreciation noting their status as a prize winner in the Competition.
Please refer to the Terms & Conditions for complete information on prizes and eligibility.
- The Challenge is open to student teams of three to six members, regardless of their majors.
- All students must register under a verified professor/instructor at a higher education institution. Visit Discover GOMC to learn more about the Challenge and how to participate.
How to Apply
Be sure to follow them on their Google+ page for the latest updates and announcements throughout the year. To apply do the following:
- Step 1: Register for the Challenge. Professors register for the Challenge and are verified by Google. Students form teams of 3-6 members and appoint a team campaign. The team captain then registers under the verified professor, who in turn confirms each student team by clicking a verification link sent via email after the team registers.
- Step 2: Create and Link AdWords Account. Once the professor has received a notification email and has verified the student team, the team can enter in the Customer ID (CID) of the AdWords account that the team creates at adwords.google.com.
- Step 3: Select a Business. The team along with its professor should identify a client business or non-profit organization.
- Step 4: Learn about AdWords and the Client. Review the Educational Resources and Digital Marketing Course. Student teams meet with the business or non-profit organization and determine the campaign goals and strategy, which is then included in the Pre-Campaign Report.
- Step 5: Upload Pre-Campaign Reports and Credit AdWords Account. Once the student teams have uploaded their Pre-Campaign Reports, student teams request crediting within the dashboard. We will then verify and credit the associated AdWords account with US$250.
- Step 6: Run Campaign. You may run your campaign over any three consecutive weeks from February 12, 2013 to June 14, 2013.
- Step 7: Write and Submit Post-Campaign Report/Impact Statement. Your report must be submitted within four weeks of your AdWords campaign ending, but no later than June 14, 2013. If you chose a non-profit organization and wish to be eligible for the Social Impact Award, you must append an Impact Statement to your report.
- Step 8: Google+ Social Media Marketing Award (Optional). Student teams that wish to be eligible for the Google+ Social Media Marketing Award should work with their business or non-profit to create and maintain a Google+ page (along with the AdWords campaign) for six consecutive weeks between February 12 and June 14, 2013.
- Step 9: Judging and Awards. Google and a panel of independent academics from all over the world select the winning teams based on the success of their campaign and the quality of their competition reports. Winners will be announced to all participants in August 2013.
Deadline: Below are the deadlines for the various participants.
Professor Registration: January 14 – May 3, 2013
Student Registration: February 12 – May 10, 2013
AdWords and Google+ Campaign Window: February 12 – June 14, 2013
Deadline for Uploading Reports: June 14, 2013
All Awards Winners Announcement: August 2013
You can visit here for more details