The United Nations University, Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability in Science (UNU-IAS) is inviting applications for the JFUNU Scholarship award for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is a leading research and teaching institute based in Tokyo, Japan. Its mission is to advance efforts towards a more sustainable future, through policy-oriented research and capacity development focused on sustainability and its social, economic and environmental dimensions.
The PhD programme in Sustainability Science is a three-year programme that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
Worth of Award
- The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
- However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree
How to Apply
During admission selection process, outstanding applicants from developing countries with financial need will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of the JFUNU scholarship. Thus, no separate application is necessary.
Deadline: Application closes April 19th, 2019.