The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany invite applications from applicants from Asia, Africa, Latin America and middle East for the 2013 University Leadership and Management Training Course Scholarship award.
The University of Oldenburg is the academic coordinator of this course and works closely together with the DAAD. The University of Oldenburg has been offering an innovative MBA programme in Education Management for professionals of German speaking (Higher) Education Institutions for several years. Thus, it has a wide network of experts who act as lecturers in this MBA programme and provides in-depth experience in the field of Continuing Education and Education Management as well as training of professionals at an academic level. National and international lecturers will bring in expertise in Higher Education Management and
Worth of Awards
- The costs for this training course will be mainly covered by funds of the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- During the visit the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg.
Following expenses will be covered:
- Travel costs: Flight to and from Germany and ground travel to and from Oldenburg. They kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangement – they will then be reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
- Course costs: 5.500 €.
- Accommodation and joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.
- Partial allowance for subsistence costs during the contact phases in Germany (according to DAAD regulations).
- Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.
- Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to cover local transportation in their home countries, visa costs and possible additional per diems for the stay in Germany. Furthermore, they are expected to contribute to the costs by paying a one-time fee of 300,00 €.
Further details on terms and conditions will be given to the admitted applicants together with the invitation letter.
The two key criteria are:
- Participants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities for at least two years in one of the following fields:
- Managers of central university departments (Planning, Evaluation, Financing, Human Resources, Continuing Education, International Offices, Technology Transfer etc.).
- Task force managers for university reform projects.
- Managers of staff development units or programmes.
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable.
Further criteria are:
- Participants are young university leaders aged between 30 and 40 years.
- They hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be an asset.
- Being a DAAD alumni will be considered an asset, but is by no means compulsory.
- Participants from higher education institutions of the following regions are eligible to apply: South East Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). Sub-Saharan Africa (Burundi, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). Latin America (Bolivia, Central America, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru). Middle East (Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen).
How to Apply
You can apply via their website through the link below.
Attached should be the following documents
- Letter of motivation with date and signature (1 to 2 pages max.) in which the need for the training is explained. The following four questions need to be answered (pdf-file):
- What is the reason for you applying for the UNILEAD programme and which role do you think the UNILEAD programme will play for your professional career?
- Please outline a concrete project with relation to the topics of the course which you are currently implementing or planning to implement at your university!
- What kind of actual challenges, obstacles or problems are or will you (presumably) be faced with regarding the implementation of your project?
- In which way do you think that your participation in the UNILEAD programme could help you to implement this project and to overcome existing or foreseen challenges, obstacles or problems?
- Letter of recommendation from university top management where the managerial qualifications and leadership competencies and the future potential of the candidate are briefly described (pdf-file).
- An additional letter of recommendation from a DAAD foreign branch office or DAAD Information Centre will be an asset (pdf-file).
- Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset. Phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency (pdf-file).
- Please do not forget to mark the contact person of your country/area on the application form.