The Magnum Foundation in the USA is accepting applications for the spring session of the Magnum Foundation Fellowships, a program offering mentorship and stipends to early-career practitioners who are at a critical moment in their development as photographers in 2019.
The Magnum Foundation Fellowship offers stipends, mentorship, and arts administration experience to early-career photographers. While many fellows are recent graduates, they also welcome self-taught photographers, and those of any age who are both producing impactful projects in New York City and have a genuine interest in nonprofit arts administration.
During the fellowship, fellows produce an in-depth project local to New York City that demonstrates a commitment to social issues and community based work. Fellows will be encouraged to build relationships with their subjects in the field, build partnerships with relevant organizations, and experiment with new narrative forms and storytelling techniques. Fellows receive mentorship and project development support from Magnum Foundation staff and our extended network throughout the duration of the fellowship.
In addition to producing a project, fellows are considered an integral part of the team and are expected to make significant contributions to the day-today work we do at Magnum Foundation. The fellows work on range of projects in the New York office including research on social issues, exploration of emerging technologies and platforms, multimedia production, and event production. Candidates should have expertise in at least one of the following areas: arts administration, research, writing, video production, or graphic design. Candidates will be paired with Magnum Foundation projects according to their expertise and interests.
Fellows are chosen by an internal selection team. Start date: March 2, 2020. End date: May 22, 2020
Worth of Award
- $500/week for a total of $6,000
- Duration: 12 weeks, 40hrs/week
- Weekly breakdown: 2 full work days (10am-6pm) in the Magnum Foundation office working on administrative tasks; and 3 days working on personal fellowship projects.
- The Magnum Foundation Fellowships is designed for New York City based photographers and does not provide room and board or transportation to and from Magnum Foundation’s office.
- Recent graduates and budding photographers can apply for this programme
- Candidates should have expertise in at least one of the following areas: video production, graphic design, emerging technology, and research.
How to Apply
Required Application Materials:
- Required Application Materials:1. Resume as PDF (LastName_FirstName_Resume)
- 2. Brief cover letter stating goals and qualifications (LastName_FirstName_Coverletter). In your cover letter please indicate your level of proficiency in photo-based editing software and file management systems, Premier, and other digital media software or technologies. If you have completed video or multimedia work, please include a link. If you have research experience or administrational experience, please describe in detail.
- 3. Two-page (500 word double-spaced) well-researched project proposal. Proposed projects must demonstrate a commitment to issues directly topical to New York City, and must be possible to complete within 12 weeks. Proposal should include a timeline for completion. Please name your proposal file as follows: LastName_FirstName_Proposal.
- 4. 15 select images from a completed or ongoing project, with captions and a one-paragraph project description. Images should be 2000 pixels on the long edge at 72 dpi jpeg files and should be named as follows: LastName_FirstName_01.jpg, LastName_FirstName_02.jpg, etc.
- 5. One-paragraph description of submitted project and list of captions for submitted images named as follows: LastName_FirstName_Captions.
- If you have questions, please contact Noelle Flores Théard, [email protected], 212-219-1248.
Deadline: Applications are due January 23, 2020 (there will be no extensions beyond this date). Applicants notified: February 5, 2020