The New School: A University in New York City is inviting applications for the Impact Entrepreneurship Fellowship for high-potential leaders from diverse backgrounds who are committed to creating social impact through entrepreneurship while pursuing a master’s degree at The New School in 2022.
Through the Fellowship, they aim to catalyze the creation of a more inclusive economy by making entrepreneurship education, resources, and networks more accessible to individuals from underrepresented backgrounds during the early stages of their entrepreneurial journey.
The Impact Entrepreneurship Initiative is made possible through funding received from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation’s Inclusion Open program. This program awards funds to organizations working to help female entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs of color achieve higher rates of success. The Inclusion Open program is a facet of the Kauffman Foundation’s Zero Barriers movement, which is based on the belief that all people have a fundamental right to turn an idea into an economic reality, regardless of who they are or where they live.
The New School is a founding member of the Ashoka U Changemaker Campus network, a global community of leaders and institutions working to make social innovation the new norm in higher education and beyond.
Worth of Award
- Enrollment in the Fellowship Cohort Course during the fall semester of the student’s first year
- Opportunity to complete a Graduate Minor in Impact Entrepreneurship by enrolling in additional entrepreneurship-focused courses
- Regular cohort meetings and networking events during the academic year
- Peer support from a community of socially-minded innovators
- Access to individual mentorship and advising from experienced staff, faculty, and mission-driven entrepreneurs
- Access to seed funding through participation in the Venture Lab course during the student’s second year
- An award of up to $10,000 over two years for participation in the Fellowship, in addition to any merit-based scholarship from their degree program*
To be selected for the Impact Entrepreneurship Fellowship, individuals must:
- Be committed to promoting positive change through entrepreneurship
- Have been admitted to a participating master’s degree program at The New School in fall 2022
Priority selection will be given to individuals who:
- Are members of minority groups that are underrepresented in regard to entrepreneurship participation in the U.S. economy, as well as those who have faced financial constraints that have limited their potential as impact entrepreneurs
- Are committed to building a venture in the United States and/or have strong affiliations with community-based organizations and projects in the United States
Participating Master’s Degree Programs
Parsons School of Design
- Design and Technology (MFA)
- Design and Urban Ecologies (MS)
- Fashion Studies (MA)
- Industrial Design (MFA)
- Strategic Design and Management (MS)
- Theories of Urban Practice (MA)
- Transdisciplinary Design (MFA)
Schools of Public Engagement
- Creative Writing (MFA)
- Environmental Policy and Sustainability Management (MS)
- International Affairs (MA/MS)
- Media Management (MS)
- Media Studies (MA)
- Nonprofit Management (MS)
- Organizational Change Management (MS)
- Public and Urban Policy (MS)
College of Performing Arts
- Arts Management and Entrepreneurship (MA)
How to Apply
The application process for the Graduate Fellowship consists of the following steps:
- Submit a completed application to a participating master’s degree program at The New School by the respective deadline:
- Submit a separate application for the Impact Entrepreneurship Graduate Fellowship. Application requirements for the Impact Entrepreneurship Graduate Fellowship include the following:
- Applicant information
- Responses to seven short-answer questions
- Submit a brief video (3 minutes maximum) of yourself responding to the following prompt(s):
- What experiences have led you to become interested in serving the community you have identified? Why are you motivated to address this issue, and why do you believe it represents a significant societal challenge?
- In what ways have you already engaged with the community and/or customer you are targeting, and what have you learned from these interactions?
- If selected for the Impact Entrepreneurship Fellowship, how will you contribute to the cohort experience?
- Submit an updated résumé.
Selected candidates may be invited to schedule an interview with the Impact Entrepreneurship team and/or provide the names and contact information of individuals who are familiar with their work
Deadline: The Priority Application Deadline for fall entry to the 2022 Impact Entrepreneurship Graduate Fellowship is Sunday, February 28, 2022.