A fully-funded Studentship includes a maintenance grant of £14,777 per year to contribute towards living expenses during the course of your research, as well as a fee waiver for 36 months. Associated costs – such as fieldwork and conference attendance – will also be met under the Studentship.
Worth of Award
- A fully-funded Studentship includes a maintenance grant of £14,777 per year to contribute towards living expenses during the course of your research, as well as a fee waiver for 36 months.
- Associated costs – such as fieldwork and conference attendance.
- They’re looking for exceptional doctoral (PhD) students whose research interest complement their areas of research strength.
- The PhD Studentships are open to UK, EU and International students. Candidates for a PhD Studentship should demonstrate outstanding qualities and be motivated to complete a PhD in 4 years and must demonstrate:
- A 1st class honours degree or a Master’s degree with distinction or equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA)
- an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 minimum (with a minimum 6.0 in each component) for candidates for whom English is not their first language
- In addition to satisfying minimum entry criteria, BU will look closely at the qualities, skills and background of each candidate and what they can bring to their chosen research project in order to ensure successful completion
- Applicants will be asked to submit an online application form and a proposal (approximately 1500 words) outlining their understanding of the project for which they are applying, the approach they would envisage taking and what qualities they will bring to the research community.
How to Apply
- There are individual application deadlines for each Studentship, which are detailed on each studentship page. To apply, click the green Apply Now button on the Studentship page and complete our online application form.
- You will need to create an account and complete the application form in full. You can save the form as you go, enabling you to return to it at as many times as you want before submitting. The form is split into tabbed sections. As you complete each of the tabbed sections they will turn green – only click submit once all of your tabs are highlighted green.
They will take the following factors into account when considering your application:
- Academic qualifications
- The nature and viability of your proposed research
- The university’s capacity to provide you with appropriate supervision throughout your research
- English language proficiency
- Evidence of access to appropriate resources to support your living costs and pay registration fees over the period of your research.
As part of your application, you will need to specify how you plan to fund your studies and provide a personal statement. Please be aware that CVs and academic profiles will not be considered unless they are accompanied by a completed application form.
Deadline: applications close:
- For the summer term (starting in April) – 31 January
- For the autumn term (starting in September) – 30 June
- For the spring term (starting in January) – 31 October.